Disk Cache Not Overwriting Itself

New Here ,
Apr 27, 2022 Apr 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Fairly self explanatory but I can't find any posts with the same issue.

I'm running on a PC (windows 10) and AE 22.2.1 (can't ugrapde at present but this issue has been around the last few versions I've updated from). I have my cache set to a 1TB SSD separate to my OS and allow it to use 500gb - plenty for most projects I work on.

The issue arises when I've been working (and caching things up) for a while. I go to preview a comp and AE crashes, I reopen AE and it tells me that my disk cache is set larger than the space available. If I clear the cache manually I can resume working but at the moment I have to guess when my cache is nearing capacity to clear it before it locks up. When my cache is cleared the SSD has about 880gb of space (of course thats 500gb less if the cache is full) so its not close to capacity.

TOPICS
Crash , Error or problem , Freeze or hang , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's a known issue/ bug. Somehow AE loses track/ dissociates cache files after they exceed a certain number of chace files. It should be fixed one of these days in an update. For the time being keep an eye on your folder directly or by using one of those simple freeware/ shareware monitoring tools that can generate sounds and messages. You could also create a conditional task in your Windows scheduler to regularly delete the files automatically, though being outside the AE loop it might remove too much and cause more headaches.

Mylenium

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your detailed response, I'll try some of those suggestions. 

Is there anything else I can do to avoid this issue? Is it PC only? I've recently switched and never experienced it on a mac. Would reducing my cache size limit the amount of files it can generate and therefore stay 'associated'..? 

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I think this is a cross-platform issue, though it seems to depend a lot on how the disks are formatted and where the cache is stored. I've seen it reported for Macs a couple of times as well, but perhaps not as often, though there are other issues on OS X. There's no clear pattern to it, as it seems totally random, so it would be hard to advise on anything. At some point while you work AE will simply decide to calculate a new session key/ hash value for the cache sequence and then nothing works anymore. Sometimes messing with the hardware acceleration options and graphics driver settings improves things, as somehow too agressive processing seems to figure in (the way I figure it frames being calculated faster than can be cached and then being ditched, breaking the cache) and of course on a similar note multiframe rendering may also play a role. Turning off the latter for a more conservative and slower AE rendering might at least lower the stress on the cache folder. At any rate, you have to experiment and keep observing what works best for you. You may not be able to totalyl avoid it, but perhaps you can get longer undisturbed work time out of it.

Mylenium

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines