• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Displacement Map not working on added PSD layers

New Here ,
Jan 22, 2022 Jan 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a comp with a solid layer that has a fractal noise and gaussian blur on it and an adjustment layer with a displacement map that sources to that comp. I am using this for a water effect. It is affecting some PSD layers that I imported earlier. I realized I needed one more layer to be affected by the water effect, so I imported new layers from Photoshop and put them below the adjustment layer, but they are not being affected by the displacement map like they should. The other layers below the adjustment layer are working fine, it is only the PSD layers imported into a new comp that are not working. How do I fix this?

TOPICS
Error or problem , How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 23, 2022 Jan 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any chance you could post a screenshot of your whole window?  There might be a setting or a layer out of place we can spot.

Just from your description, here's a couple of guesses:

• Are you sure the new layer is scaled to fit in your window?  Sometimes Photoschop images are significantly bigger than AE comp dimensions.
  • Could you be accidentally looking at the layer in the Comp window and not the composition?  It can be easy to click into a layer and not spot that you're no longer looking at the comp.
  • If you make changes to anything, do you see the comp update?  It is possible you've had a crash that's only affected the GPU
  • You've put the layers in a new comp.  Did you copy over the adjustment layer and displacement texture?  If so, did you repoint the Displacement Map effect to the adjustment layer?  When copying an effect from one comp to another that involves another layer, you have to relink any effects.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 23, 2022 Jan 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Aside from what the cactus said, check the PSD for whether the layer has some "magic" associated like being a smart object or having custom layer styles and belnding options. That may affect how it's processed in AE. You may need to rasterize or get rid of that fancy stuff.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines