• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Distorted text when using Cinema 4D renderer in After Effects

New Here ,
Oct 03, 2020 Oct 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Everyone, I'm trying to extrude text for a 3D effect, however, the text gets distorted after I switch to the Cinema 4D renderer.  And, the text looks fine with the Classic 3D renderer (but, of course, I'm not able to extrude with the Classic 3D renderer). 

I've tried using several different fonts (I even installed a few new ones) and the same problem persists on all fonts.  The text is connected to the camera tracker (I'm moving it through the video footage), and my project is dynamically linked to Premiere Pro.

Thanks, any guidance you can provide to resolve this issue would be most appreciated!

Marc

TOPICS
Error or problem

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Show us screenshots and provide critical info like your comp settings, potential GPU acceleration stuff and so on. also make sure you start the extrusion while your resolution is set to full. Sometimes viewing at odd zoom levels and reduced resolutions has weird effects, especially with this dynamically generated stuff based on vector data.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you very much!  Your suggestion to start the extrusion at full resolution (preview panel, I assume) made a big difference, however, the text font is still quite distorted which hopefully is apparent from the 2 screen shots I attached (one captured with the Classic 3D renderer and the other - distorted font - in Cinema 4D).  Btw, the Cinema 4D version was much more distorted when I started the extrusion with preview resolution at a quarter.

For additional information, my composition settings are set to Full resolution (1920x1080).  I'm running a PC (Intel i7 7th Gen, 4 cores; and GTX 1070 GPU - under Preferences > Previews > GPU info > is set to 3232 MB texture memory).

Any additional infor I can provide to fully resolve this issue would be most appreciated!  Thanks very much for your suggestions so far.Cinema 4D Renderer.jpgClassic 3D Renderer.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you checked the C4D renderers options in the Advanced Composition Settings? This very much looks like the typical result you get when the quality slider is set too low, i.e. the tesseletion engine does not produce enough traingles and intermediate points to correctly capture the font contours. You definitely should have a look at that. Also, just for fun try to convert the text to masks/ shape paths and see if it yields better results. Finally, and this could be the actual problem, use a much larger font size. 6 pixels is super-tiny and AE may produce incorrect contours just because of that. You can always scale back the layer later or move it in Z space to account for such issues.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you!  I tried again with a 14 px font size and adjusted the C4D renderer option to maximum quality.  Unfortunately no resolution.  The text actually looks worse - mushier and distorted than last time.  Extrusion looked awful, even with resolution set to full.  Such a bummer.

I didn't try the mask/path part because I'm a newbie with AE and have burned so much time with this so far, and not quite sure how to do it.  Plus, everything seems to work fine in Adobe's own tutorial (https://helpx.adobe.com/after-effects/how-to/add-3d-text-video-footage.html), which I've been using as a reference for my project (I'm trying to do the exact same thing within my own video footage).

Forgot if I mentioned but I'm using a track camera on the text (as presented in the above tutorial).

Any more suggestions would be greatly appreciated.  I'm determined to get this resolved.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 10, 2021 Feb 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same problem, the font size was way too small.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 03, 2021 Sep 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Marc16B8 did you ever find a solution to this font distortion issue?  I'm having the same issue and can't seem to rectify.  Any help would be appreciated!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 10, 2022 Apr 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any resolution on this issue. I am still facing the same problem. Come on Adobe, it's been 2 years and no fix yet?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 07, 2023 Feb 07, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi, I know it's been a year but what fixed it for me was that the font was too small so I just increased it and then scaled the layer down.

Good luck!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines