• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Do files with a lot of shape and text layers makes AE slow?

Community Beginner ,
Mar 26, 2020 Mar 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

My After Effects 2020 project is extremely slow and I want to know how to fix it.

It consists of 9 comps (about 12 seconds each) each containing 10 to 20 shape layers and 5 to 10 text layers with trim paths and opacity animations on each. That's litterally it. Then the 9 comps are put together in a sequence.

It's so laggy that I have to work in quarter resolution and preview (I also skip frames in the preview) for it to work fine, and even then, I wait 5 seconds every time I click somewhere or change the text. It's driving me nuts.

I purged the memory and cache, restarted AE (it sorta works but after half an hour or so, it slows down more and more), rebooted my computer. Anyone knows how I can work efficiently with such a project?

Thanks in advance!

TOPICS
Performance , Preview

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please click the 3D switch and confirm that it is set for classic 3D. Even if you’re not in 3D I’ve found that sometimes the other settings slow things down.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Comp size and frame rate? Motion Blur? What else is going on? On my system, you have to get to 50 or more of shape layers rendering at the same time to see noticeable slowdown. 

A screenshot with the modified properties (uu will do that) and maybe a flow chart that has been expanded might help us figure out what is going on or it may help you diagnose the problem. That's always my first step - press UU and start turning things off or resetting them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 02, 2021 Sep 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am dealing with this same issue as well.  This is a brand new computer.  High end build and 3d shape layers are slwoing everything to a crawl

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 27, 2021 Sep 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

totally!  me too , this is an absolute joke , im on a powerful machine, i have a buch of shape layers and its borderline unworkable, im so tired of adobe and their constant failings and issues.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines