• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Does a video clip have a pre determined gamma setting ?

Advocate ,
Apr 14, 2021 Apr 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

Do video clips already have a selected gamma setting installed in them at the time of filming?

And if so, can this gamma setting be confirmed?

I was wondeing if there is a native gamma setting for SD video clips.  (not HD, but Standard Digital video.)

I know the camera man would set the gamma at the time of filming, but how do I find out after the fact?

Thanks,
Letty

Camera was an old Panasonic DVX100a mini DV  set to "6" cine-like gamma.  But there are no gamma references in the Panasonic manuals or online that I can find.  'cine-like gamma' could be 2.4 ?  2.2 ??  who knows.

TOPICS
FAQ , How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Apr 14, 2021 Apr 14, 2021

Gamma settings aren't arbitrary. They are intrinsic features of  a) broadcast standards, b) the electronics in the camera, c) your monitor's capabilities to actiually render colors (just like overall gamut) and d) any video processing software to account for perceptive phenomena. I suggest you start by reading the respective Wikipedia articles. All the info is out there, including the specs of the old PAL and NTSC standards.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
Apr 14, 2021 Apr 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Gamma settings aren't arbitrary. They are intrinsic features of  a) broadcast standards, b) the electronics in the camera, c) your monitor's capabilities to actiually render colors (just like overall gamut) and d) any video processing software to account for perceptive phenomena. I suggest you start by reading the respective Wikipedia articles. All the info is out there, including the specs of the old PAL and NTSC standards.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Apr 15, 2021 Apr 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hmmmmmm....  I should take that as a 'no' ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines