• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Does Cinema 4D Lite support importing FBX files?

Explorer ,
Jun 12, 2014 Jun 12, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've tried every FBX file I could, I've exported FBX files using every version of FBX available to me (2010, 2012, 2013, 2014) but every time I try to import an FBX file into Cinema 4D Lite (launched from AE CC, everything updated and current) I get a dialog with some options, then a second dialog with information about the available takes and animation length (which is must get from the file) and then I get an error message "Unable to read file <filename>".  Doesn't seem to matter what FBX I choose.  Every FBX file is readable by Autodesk's FBX Review app so I don't think it's the file(s).  Maxon's website seems to indicate that importing FBX was supported by the Lite version of Cinema 4D included with AE CC, but near as I can tell that's not true.  Am I missing something?  Is there some option I need to check or a specific way I should create an FBX file?  I'm running on Windows 7 64bit with current drivers and everything is updated.  I get the feeling this just doesn't work at all by design.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 10, 2021 May 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

There is a work-around for this issue. 

1. Import your FBX animation file into Blender (free)

2. Once the FBX file has been imported into Blender , Trim the frame range to what you need.

3. Play back animation.

4. Now we must export it as an "OBJ sequence" from Blender

5. Go to , File, - export , - wavefront (obj)

6. Select the folder you want the sequence to be in, and make sure you check the "Objects as OBJ objects", AND       "Animation" box 

7.  Hit the export OBJ button , and your sequence should export out to the specified folder. 

8. Open cinema 4d lite

9. Drag and drop the first obj from your sequence into the main viewport of cinema 4d lite.

10. An OBJ import dialogue box should now open.

11. From this box , from the top menu options. navigate to where it says "Animation" and click it. 

12. Check the box for " Sequence" , hit ok.  Now your animation sequnce should load into Cinema 4d lite. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines