• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Does csv data just not update sometimes...?

Explorer ,
Oct 06, 2022 Oct 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a very simple (two columns of 12 values) csv file of dummy data linked to text through an expression, but when I change the csv file (and save and close it), the values in AE don't change. I've tried closing the AE file and opening it again and nothing. It was working earlier in the day but now it's not. Here's a screen shot:

Screenshot1.jpg

Is this something I may be doing wrong? Or is it just AE being annoying?

Thanks you for your help,

G

TOPICS
Dynamic link , Error or problem , Expressions , Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 06, 2022 Oct 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do not work off online connected virtual folders like OneDrive. Files may simply not update and use old versions.

Mylenium 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 07, 2022 Oct 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm confused...I'm not using OneDrive. The file is on my hard drive. Is there anything else I might be doing wrong?

G

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As per your screenshot, everything resides in your onedrive folder, which is being synched every few seconds with the online version. That's the special magic of it and during the process files may get blocked or be the wrong version. So for what it's worth, do as I suggested and see if the problem persists with an actual local folder outside this stuff. Otherwise more specific info is required like the actual structure of the data, your replacement procedures and so on.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow, I didn't even notice I'd saved it in OneDrive, since it "lives" on my local computer. I'll let you know when I fix that. Thanks for being so patient with me!

G

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So, I moved it to my C drive and had to replace it (because I moved it), but AE kept the same data as before and didn't replace the data that's in the updated csv file I just relinked. I'm not sure I know what you mean when you say the structure of the data. It's two colums with headers by 12 rows of whole numbers, and that's the only data in the file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having the data as a file or as copy & paste text might help to figure things out. Perhaps there is some special character throwing things off, perhaps there are extraneous invisible characters like spaces or line breaks. You can of course check these things yourself as well. Also perhaps try a shorter file name? If the URI gets truncated, AE may not find the file and stick with the data it already has embedded in the project.

Mylenium 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good point about the name. There are no special characters, but maybe there are spaces...thanks again for all your help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I will also look at converting the CSV to TSV or JSON. There are online tools that perform the conversion. 
Good Luck.

Motion Graphics Brand Guidelines & Motion Graphics Responsive Design Toolkits

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines