• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Dragging icon from CC library into AE - icon does not retain label name

New Here ,
Nov 21, 2020 Nov 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have made an icon in Illustrator and put it into my Adobe CC library, I labeled it in the libary. When I go to AE and drag it into my project, it does not retain the label I gave it and instead reverts to "Artwork 1"

Can someone tell me why the icon does not retain the label I assigned in the Adobe Library?

Thanks very much!

TOPICS
Error or problem

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Nov 21, 2020 Nov 21, 2020

Start by naming everything in Illustrator. 

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The original file names are always preserved. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rick, thanks for your reply, but I am not sure what you mean.  

I made an illustrator file with 10 icons.  The file name for the illustrator file is "01 icons."  I dragged each icon into the CC library separately.  I then named each icon a unique name in the CC library.  When dragged into AE, every icon's name (regardless of its name in the library) changes to "Artwork 1."  

I am participating in a tutorial.  The prof does not have this problem-when he drags his icons from the CC library to AE, the icon name is preserved from the library.  Curious where I am going wrong.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Start by naming everything in Illustrator. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 22, 2020 Nov 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rick, thanks!  That worked!  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 12, 2021 Nov 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been dealing with this issue FOREVER....but this solution does not work for me. In fact, I ALWAYS build my library assets from files within Illustrator, and then use them in after effects. For the last several years now, I've been having the really annoying Artwork 1 naming problem. Infuriating, since I take the time to name everything in illustrator, and then have to do it AGAIN in after effects. Any help is appreciated!

I am guilty of mixing versions (screw me for wanting a consistent product and not wanting to update mid-project, right?) but this has been a consistent problem throughout many versions, matching and mixed.

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 12, 2021 Nov 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To clarify - 

I open an artwork file that I want to strip elements out of in Illustrator.

I then select elements I want, and drag them into the Library Panel.

I then rename the elements within the library panel (inside of Illustrator).

Then when I use those elements in After Effects, they come into my project as Artwork 1.

What am I doing wrong? Is this not how libraries is supposed to work?

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 10, 2022 Mar 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi. This does not work, and should be unmarked as the solution. Perhaps it worked before, but it certainly does not work now, and hasn't for a long time now. I've always just sucked it up and renamed everything again in After Effects, but now I have a large list of items that I need to pull double-duty for, which is why I came searching here for an answer.

This is on After Effects 22.2.1 (Build 3) and Illustrator 26.0.3

Regardless of where I name the items in the Library, After Effects imports them as "Artwork 1".

It doesn't matter if I drag the items in, or right-click them and choose "Add to Project". Everything always comes in as "Artwork 1".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines