• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Dynamic link between AR and Premiere-please help!!!

Explorer ,
Jun 02, 2021 Jun 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So frustrated with dynamic link

I edited a lot of footage in Premiere and then did the dynamic link and added some special effects in after effects. Now I’m back in Premiere and I just had to do one more thing. But the issue is that the green screen is showing now in the dynamic link footage on the timeline and none of the effects that I did in premiere are showing. What can I do? Is there a way for me to just use the special effects layers from after effects and add them to Premiere?

Basically I added fire and smoke to AE. But none of the effects I did in premiere are showing now that I brought it back into premiere. The green screen was showing on AE too. If there is a way to just copy the fire and smoke a fax and put it into after effects please let me know if it’s possible. Otherwise the multiple hours I spent was a waste 😞

TOPICS
Dynamic link

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Smoke effects not smoke a fax lol

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your question is a little hard to follow, but maybe I've been smoking too many faxes. 😉

You might be misunderstanding exactly how dynamic link works. It sounds like you've pushed a clip (or clips) from Pr into AE. Depending on how you do this (yes, there's more than one way), you're correct that you may not see Premiere effects within After Effects.

After working in AE, to see that result in Pr, you can't just ... look at your original Pr clip again. You would have to import that After Effects composition into Premiere. 

Check out these couple articles, and see if they help clarify things. You haven't lost your work, you may just need to rethink your workflow a bit.

https://www.schoolofmotion.com/blog/premiere-pro-after-effects

https://www.schoolofmotion.com/blog/copy-from-premiere-to-after-effects

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lol thank you! Yeah unfortunately I didn't proofread until after I posted and it wouldn't let me change it lol

I'm familiar with Photoshop. Is there a way for me to basically take only the layers that have the fire and smoke in after effects and export them with no background, so that I can just overlay it on Premiere? I don't need the footage at all from after effects, only the fire and smoke effects

In Photoshop it would basically be taking some layers and using it like a PNG file so that it was a clear background. All of this is so confusing so I don't really know what to do.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can import a layered Photoshop file directly into Premiere - when importing, it'll ask whether you want everything sandwiched into one element, or broken out into all the layers! You can indeed do basic compositing and animating directly in Premiere, if you're more comfortable there.

That said, I think After Effects is closer to Photoshop in terms of how it works. I'd recommend checking out some of the basic tutorials on how to work in AE (this series from Adobe is a great place to start) - you might be surprised at what you can accomplish with even a little bit of know-how. 🙂 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you! I definitely will

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Quick answer:  In After Effects, add your Composition to the Render Queue (Composition > Add to Render Queue), set the Output Module template to "Best Settings" and the Render Settings template to "Lossless with Alpha", then render.  Import the resulting movie file into Premiere Pro and superimpose it over the other clip(s).

Slightly better (file size will be less huge):  Add your Composition to Adobe Media Encoder (Composition > Add to Adobe Media Encoder Queue), set the Format to "QuickTime" and the Preset to "Apple ProRes4444 with alpha", then start the Queue.  Import the resulting movie file into Premiere Pro and superimpose it over the other clip(s).

Another option:  Save the After Effects project so that it's current and the import it into Premiere Pro.  When the Dynamic Link dialog box appears, choose the Composition for import.  Superimpose the Comp over the other clip(s) as you would if it were a video file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you! When I do this, do I just click on the eye to hide the comp part with the person on the green screen footage? I really just need the effects so I can just put them on the person with the green screen footage in Premiere if that's possible

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think the answer to that question is no, and no.  But, I'm not sure.

You'd want to see the Comp (as a rendered movie file or as the Comp itself placed via Dynamic Link) superimposed over the clip in Premiere Pro.  As such, you would not hide any Layers on the AE side nor hide any Tracks on the PR side.

As the default Effects go, Premiere Pro may have ones that compare to the After Effects, but we can't load the AE plugins in PR.  Some 3rd party effects work in both - for example, Red Giant Universe installs for both After Effects and Premiere Pro, and that allows us to apply those plugins in either application.

That said, you could key your greenscreen footage using Ultra in Premiere Pro.  And, you can stack your fire clip and your smoke clip above your greenscreen clip in Premiere Pro and then adjust settings like the Blending Mode in the PR Effect Controls tab.  Or, once you have everything stacked in Premiere Pro, that may be the time to select all three, right-click, and choose Replace Selected with After Effects Composition.  As you complete the layer work in the resulting After Effects Composition, the results will show in your PR Sequence.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks! This is where I'm stuck now 🙂

New thread link 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines