Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Element 3d and saber on object.

Community Beginner ,
Jan 22, 2022 Jan 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello all, 

Is there a way to apply the saber effect to an object extruded in element 3d.

I tried doing this with a texture layed out over the object but it doesnt seem to work.

What is the best way to achieve this?

Thanks

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And when i get text on the object (in this case a plain) the text can Be seen  on both sides instead of just on 1 side where i want the text.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Anyone have the answer, would be appreciated

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Entirely depends on what specific look you want, but of course working with 3D objects and textures is its own exercise since you may need to genuinely model stuff to get consistent UV coordinates. If you merely want the text's outermost contours, it would be best to work with duplicate pre-compositions that provide these contours as plain black & white mattes or transparency and then can be treated further with applying the effects in the parent comp or in a worst case scenario doing an auto-trace to provide mask paths for plug-ins such as Saber...

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 23, 2022 Jan 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i want the saber effect shown here

xrp saber.PNG

on the card shown here, but when i do get it using a seperate mask it shows trough the whole card.

kaart saber.PNG

would this work with the 3d camera tracker ?

thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think you will have to use a separate layer for the Saber effect, set in 3D space.  The clever thing about Element though is you can generate a 3D Null object and use that as a parent for your Saber 3D layer.  In terms of it appearing in front and behind the "tablet", you just need to place one Saber layer above the Element layer in the Timeline and another below - but trim the top layer when the object rotates.

But there is a second approach, if you find this easier to follow:

• Add your 2D saber layer to the Custom Texture Maps (in Custom Layers).  Make sure to set Effects & Masks too
  • Then in Element's Scene Set up add create a Material which uses this custom texture.  You can then add this to your object both front and back.  

The benefit of this approach is it is easier to spin your object about, the downside of this approach is you lose a bit of control over the final object as the saber effect is sort-of baked into the 3D object.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thanks for the reply,

i tried the second method but like you said i dont get the effect iwant.

also the texture is much smaller when i import it.

the first method, well im not so advanced.

could i possibly send you the file so you can make a start for me, and send it back ??

thanks in advance

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

here is the file if your willing to have a look

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

here is my example,

i dont really get what you mean by adding a second saber layer above and beneath the timeline, are they supposed to cancel eachother out ?

adobe forum 1.PNG

as you can see i made a new layer and recomposed it, but the saber effect is shown on both sides.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

if i try to do this with a texture this is what i get on 1 side..

texture.PNG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 26, 2022 Jan 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, I've not had a chance to think for the last few days.  Try this: DropBox link 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 26, 2022 Jan 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks man, really appreciate it.

Will have a look later, at work right now. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines