Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Element 3D compatibility with After Effects Stereoscopic 3D rig

New Here ,
Oct 17, 2019 Oct 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

I'm in a production of creating a stereoscopic 3D side-by-side film and I'm having trouble with Video Copilot Element 3D working with After Effects' built-in stereo rig. It seems to be collapsing the cameras and taking away altogether the scene depth. Has this been resolved at all or are there any options for this?

I know that there is the Stereo-3D Toolkit but I'm wondering if I don't have to buy that just in case.

Your help is very much appreciated!

Cheers,
James

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 18, 2019 Oct 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

E3D never supported multiple cameras and unless there is some magical secret update out there that no one has heard of, it still doesn't. You have to do it the old way using duplicate comps and without the unified renderer rippling through collapsed compositions, i.e. using the Stereo Toolkit or your own custom rigs.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 03, 2022 Jul 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Not saying anything new, just elaborating on what @Mylenium points out.

Element3D and other similar 3D plugins (like Helium) can use only the camera of the composition that they reside in and thus cannot be used with the "collapse transformations" option like native After effects 3d layers.

For this reason they don't work natively with the "Create Stereo 3D rig" workflow since it uses the "collapse transformations" option in the two precomps that it creates for the left and right view.

The solution that I found is to create the 3d rig and instead of using the Stereo 3D comp I go to the original composition and render it for left and right eye separately by making the respective camera active.

To produce the final result reimport the rendered files in the Stereo 3D comp and use them for left and right view in the 3D glasses effect instead of the precomps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines