Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Error (50::0)

Enthusiast ,
Sep 15, 2021 Sep 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How do I solve this??

"After Effects error: The file path to this PDF document exceeds 260 characters and cannot be used. Move the file to a location with a shorter path."

I am unable to do this move as these are source files from client...

TOPICS
Error or problem , How to , Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Enthusiast , Sep 15, 2021 Sep 15, 2021

I ended up finding it was two .ai files that were so far into the folder chain that the filename was over 260 characters... so as soon as I moved them up a folder all good. AE didn't make it easy to troubleshoot nor to let me know which files were the culprit...

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Impossible to know without exact file names and paths as well as the contents of the PDF. As a matter of fact it's more likely that this is some special character or excessively long object name inside the PDF itself or a cross-platform issue with special characters.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The thing is... no PDF exists in the folders.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 13, 2021 Oct 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've had the same ordeal going on and I'm shocked that I can't save it within the folder I need it to be at. This has completely uprooted the file organization of the entire Design division of the company I work at which worked completely fine until now.

Adobe needs to specify that this isn't a PDF or that it's possible it isn't, because the same went for me as Todd. I work in the company OneDrive so it is practically impossible for the project path not to have a long directory. Please, please fix this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 10, 2021 Dec 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please fix this, beacuse i can't find the file either.... I is very annoying! The weird thing is that this error only shows up at mij Windows and not at my Mac.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This could be a PDF or even EPS file just as well or an embedded AI smart object in a PSD.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I ended up finding it was two .ai files that were so far into the folder chain that the filename was over 260 characters... so as soon as I moved them up a folder all good. AE didn't make it easy to troubleshoot nor to let me know which files were the culprit...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 12, 2023 Feb 12, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could you please help me with that? I'm pretty confused how to exact fix this. Am I supposed to rename everything or am I supposed release them out of the folder that they already exist in? I already tried doing the second one but it still shows the erroe so I think I didn't do the right thing. Please help this project is very important to me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Feb 13, 2023 Feb 13, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi. Try to collect the project into a folder as high as you can to the drive letter. If you have folder/folder/folder/folder/etc... that adds to the filename being accessed. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 10, 2023 May 10, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

There are two options, the first is to collect the entire file and place it on the desktop of the computer you use. File > Dependencies > Collect Files, this will open a window and you should select "All". The other option if you have the file in a folder, try to send it to the desktop since sometimes the access path is through several folders which causes the 260 character error to be thrown. In my case, I was working on a file directly on a hard drive and when I reached a certain number of compositions to preview, it gave me an error, I simply threw the file on the desktop and was able to continue working. It is not necessary to install software or plugins to solve the problem, since I also found some pages that recommend downloading these apps that in my opinion could be viruses. luck and success

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 05, 2022 Apr 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What worked for me:

1. Inside AE Project Panel move all the footages/comps out of their folders.
  2. Delete all the now empty folders.
  3. Collect your project file with File/Dependencies/ Collect files.
  4. Open the new project file and it should work fine.
  5. (Optional ) Now you should organize the footages inside AE Project Panel.

The reason this works is because if you now look inside your "(Footage)" folder in the collected project folder, there are no subfolders anymore. Those subfolders lenghten the path too long for AE to use.

I mean it worked for me. Hope it does for you too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jun 08, 2022 Jun 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the exact same problem. My Hackintosh just died and I went to Windows 11. And Windows has this weird limitation of 260 character limit. 

Renaming hundreds of files is not an option... 
But you can remove the limit by going to RegEdit, and setting "LongPathsEnabled" variable, in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\FileSystem, to 1.

Unfortunately, it was already set on my machine. So I guess this is an After Effect error. I tried the same long path on Illustrator, and it failed too.

But I tried the same long path in a text Editor and C4D, and that worked....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jun 08, 2022 Jun 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That said, Windows doens't let me write file names that goes over the path length limit... Even if you change the registry

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines