• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Export alpha channel directly as a mp4 format?

New Here ,
Jan 23, 2022 Jan 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there a way to export alpha channel directly as a mp4 format? I'm doing motion graphic stock footage and it would save me a lot of time. I want the original video to go first, and after it finishes, an alpha channel of the same footage. I want to do it by exporting one time. Not export RGB > export Alpha > combine those two clips. 

I hope someone can give me an advice. Thanks! 

TOPICS
How to , Import and export , User interface or workspaces

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 24, 2022 Jan 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can set the render options to Alpha only on the AE render queueu and nothing stops you from setting two consecutive renders of the same comp with different options, so I fail to see your problem, especially given that the second render usually would be a lot faster with AE having already cached a considerable part of the frames. Otherwise there is no way to do it with MP4s, no matter how you twist and turn it. You can't expect AE to do what an output format doesn't support and in fact pretty much the only format that would allow a workflow as you seem to envision would have been the old Quicktime Animation CoDec, which had an Alpha only option natively (along with other useful stuff).

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for reaching out. To put it easier, is there a way to have a composition black&white? White for visible elements and black for transparent background, within the project. Maybe with an effect or toggling some settings? Without rendering the original composition as alpha only. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Mp4 files cannot contain an alpha channel.  But you can output the alpha channel as a standalone file.

When you're ready to render, add your comp to the Render Queue from Composition > Add to render Queue.

Click on the Output Module in the Render Queue, and make sure it is set to RGB.

Then, with Output Module selected, click on Composition > Add Output Module.

This will add a second output to your Render Queue item.  Click on the second output module, and change the Channels setting to Alpha.

Screen Shot 2022-01-24 at 11.34.30 pm.png

Set the output file name.  Now, when you render, you'll create two files simultaneously - the Fill layer, and the alpha channel, as seperate files.

 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines