• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Expression to copy all text parameters to another comp

Community Beginner ,
May 16, 2022 May 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can I script text source to look at another text in a source comp and match sizing/kerning differences made in the source comp via script? I would need it to match kerning/text size (through character editor) per character.
So I could edit a text freely in one comp, and have those changes all update in some other comp's text I have the expression on?

TOPICS
Expressions

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 18, 2022 May 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes? No?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Check out 

text.sourceText.style

https://helpx.adobe.com/after-effects/using/expressions-text-properties.html

Most likely only works if all your text is the same format.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your response... I have tried everything on that page but this applies source of the style based on one specific letter or overall applied to the entire text. 
For text that need per character style, have that be mirrored, like the word "MacDonalds" in all caps, having smaller and larger letters be matched.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yea, per character doesn't work unforunately. One of the big painpoints in expressions for text layers over the years, people often resort to multiple stacked text layers and offsetting position, it's not fun.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Basically, no, you can't automatically apply multiple, per-character styles via expression (or script). Once you apply an expression to Source Text all characters are going to get the same styling/formatting as the first character.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks! This was basically the same snag I kept running into, wasnt sure if I was missing anything. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines