• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Expressions like "marker.key ("NAME")" now do not work?!

Community Beginner ,
Jun 20, 2020 Jun 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello everyone!

After update 17.1.1, expressions that are linked with a marker name stopped working. And now it breaks me the whole game. I know that can enable Legacy ExtendScript and it will work, but this is a bad solution. Is there any chance that this will be fixed in the next update?

2020-06-20_17-31-45.png

TOPICS
Error or problem , Expressions , Scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Jun 22, 2020 Jun 22, 2020

Hi evgeny_hive,

Thank you for reporting this issue. This bug was introduced in the 17.1.1 version and the team is now tracking it internally. Apologies for any frustration this may have caused. When a fix becomes available, it will be in the Beta version of After Effects before coming to the release version.

Thanks again,

- John, After Effects Engineering

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 22, 2020 Jun 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi evgeny_hive,

Thank you for reporting this issue. This bug was introduced in the 17.1.1 version and the team is now tracking it internally. Apologies for any frustration this may have caused. When a fix becomes available, it will be in the Beta version of After Effects before coming to the release version.

Thanks again,

- John, After Effects Engineering

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 22, 2020 Jun 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Switching the project back to the Legacy ExtendScript should fix it temporarily. Just open up the Project settings and make the change in the Expressions tab. Shift + Alt/Option +Ctrl/Cmnd + k will take you there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 25, 2020 Jun 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sadly the error still occurs on beta 17.1.2x33 on Windows 64.
We are also waitig for a fix on this issue as soon as possible ...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 26, 2022 Oct 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm getting this same error. I've been trying to figure this out for two days now. I can't believe this hasn't been resolved.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 26, 2022 Oct 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Asher_E,

What version of After Effects are you using? I've just confirmed that referencing comp and layer markers by name is working in After Effects 2023 in both expression engines. If you're using that same version of After Effects, would you share your expression? Perhaps there's an additional syntax error.

Cheers,

- John, After Effects Engineering Team 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 27, 2022 Oct 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi John,

Thank you for the replay. Working more with the actions it seems like the error is occurring when adding Math.min. If I use just easeIn(time, markerIn, markerIn+dur, bot, mid); to trigger a position animation the code works. But if I try to use Math.min to trigger more than one animation, that's when I get the error on the first line of code. Here is the code I have for the position animation.

var markerIn = thisLayer.marker.key(1).time;
var markerOut = thisLayer.marker.key(2).time;

var dur = 1; //time in seconds

var bot = [960,1830]; //bottom position
var mid = [960,575]; //middle position
var top = [960, -748]; //top position

//at marker 1, move from the bottom position to the middle position, then at marker 2 move from the middle position to the top position
Math.min(easeIn(time, markerIn, markerIn+dur, bot, mid), easeOut(time, markerOut, markerOut+dur, mid, top));

Thanks for checking this out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah, that makes sense. Math.min() would not be able to handle the arrays that would be returned by easeIn and easeOut. However, I think changing the last line will get you what you're after:

easeIn(time, markerIn, markerIn+dur, bot, mid) + easeOut(time, markerOut, markerOut+dur, mid, top) - value;

You may need to tweak the position of the layer after applying the expression, but it will animate correctly on the markers after that.

- John, After Effects Engineering Team 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Awesome. that's so simple.

Thank you for pointing me in the right direction.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines