• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Fastest Render Codec?

Enthusiast ,
Feb 04, 2022 Feb 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Comp settings and complexity aside, what is the fastest codec straight out of After Effects? Not AME. 

Tiff sequence used to be the fastest, but lately I've had better luck with lossless. What do you use and recommend? 

TOPICS
Import and export , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 04, 2022 Feb 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

ProRes is pretty fast, but an image sequence will likely be faster. There are several flavors of EXR, but that can also be really fast. AE recently-ish updated the default codec for the High Quality presets to be ProRes. But really, unless you're going to PNG or a video codec that's highly compressed, the actual encoding of frames isn't going to be the bottleneck, actually rendering the frames to RAM will be. The newly redesigned Render Queue in AE 2022 can help shed some light on where your render bottlenecks may be with its three different colors:

Bright green = frames are actively rendering
Dark green = frames have been rendered and are waiting to be written to file
Blue = written to file

I've been looking at these bars as a metric of whether a drive speed is fast enough or a bottlneck, but I think you could also glean some info about performance between codecs, as long as you purge your memory and disk cache in between renders.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines