• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Feature Focus: Separated Dimensions Preference in After Effects Beta

Adobe Employee ,
Mar 09, 2022 Mar 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello everyone! I'm back to announce a new feature, available today in After Effects Beta 22.4x1!

Separated Dimensions Preference:  You can now set AE to default to separated X, Y dimensions (for 2D layers) or separated X, Y, Z dimensions (for 3D layers) on position properties by enabling the new Separated Dimensions options in Preferences > General.

373fb980-93f0-11ec-80b5-e0cdfd050145.png

What We Want to Know
Does this feature improve your workflow? What would you change?

Thank you! We’re looking forward to your feedback

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

THANK YOU!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Awesome news!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeaaaaaaaah !

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great new feature. I use the separate dimensions function in almost every project. Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 10, 2022 Mar 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sweet, thank you for listening, Adobe!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great news. Thank you.

Importent:
Is must be seen as a bug if the separate dimensions option is missing when you right clicking on position.

First place to look:
Add the option to separate dimensions to "Point of interest" (two-node camera) and puppet pins. Especially the missing option for the puppet pins is a major pain.

Linking nulls to puppet pins just to get the option for animation X-Y with B-spline handles is not a solid solution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh my goodness this is great news, thank you, we have been begging for this for 4 years since the initial request on Uservoice. I just want to say that again...4 years...but I'm most grateful to finally have this. Now please, I beg you, try checking out some of the other Top Requests that haven't been acknowledged on Uservoice!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi jackthegiantslayer, thanks so much for the feedback! Even though we can't always respond to Uservoice requests, I can assure you that we read every request that comes in (and we regularly review existing requests too). We really appreciate you taking the time to share your thoughts with us.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The problem is that you haven't responded to pretty much all the Top Requests, most of them have no acknowledgment nor any proof they are in progress or needing additional info. I would appreciate your team using just a wee bit of their time to communicate with their deeply frustrated users in here like other Adobe application teams manage to do.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Mar 14, 2022 Mar 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Catie, I'm curious how long you think before these features are added to the stable version? I have to frequently exchange templates and AE projects with my main client who does not use the beta version of your software, they are simply too huge and their IT department strictly regulates the use of your licenses. I'd love to work in the beta but I don't want to risk any incompatibility when exchanging files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Mar 18, 2022 Mar 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Anything? Catie?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi jackthegiantslayer. Unfortunately we cannot say when a feature will graduate from beta to release as it really depends on feedback while in beta, and what issues are uncovered that we need to fix to make sure it is stable. However, projects from the beta can be opened in the current release version as well. They will not be able to see or use new features, but that won't change the values that you save in the project. So you may still be able to work in the beta on your end. But of course, if you are concerned it is always safest to stay in the release version if you are exchanging files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Apr 01, 2022 Apr 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks so much for the reply, I'm working now exclusively in the beta and so far aside from a few bugs and one repeatable crash (converting multiple Illustrator layers to Outline) it's MUCH faster on my Macbook Pro M1 Max than working in the current Intel version. I was worried if I needed to send to my client that there would be version issues, but so far so good. Thanks again and definitely feel better about the direction AE is taking.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 04, 2022 Apr 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's so great to hear @jackthegiantslayer! And thank you for writing up that Illustrator layer bug separately, we will get that forwarded on to the team for testing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 19, 2022 Apr 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good evening all! We recently made some bug fixes to this feature and would love to hear how things are going -- any unexpected behavior or general usage concerns? General feature feedback is, of course, welcome as well!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Apr 20, 2022 Apr 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think this feature is ready to be rolled into the stable release, the current beta is unfortunately unusable on my M1 Macbook Pro Max right now as the preview window drops to black after a second or so.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for this feedback! We are hoping to move forward soon. 🙂

As far as your concerns with the beta go, it sounds like you may be experiencing some issues described in this thread. If you haven't already, could you post your system details over there so that @JohnColombo and his team can investigate? Thanks so much!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The only thing that I'm a bit confused is when using tracking data. When I use Mocha and use the export option to a layer that has separate dimensions enabled, this layer doesn't receive any translation info. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Jose Panadero,

In order for the Mocha effect to apply tracking data, the dimensions of the Position property of the targeted layer must be combined: right-click either of the separated properties ( X Position or Y Position ) and uncheck "Separate Dimensions" in the context menu, below "Edit Properties...". Then Mocha AE should have no trouble applying tracking data to the layer.

We have made the Mocha team aware of this issue, which also exists in previous versions of After Effects and Mocha AE if you separated a layer's dimensions manually and then tried to apply Mocha tracking data.

Thanks very much for making this report and for using After Effects (Beta)!

- John, After Effects Engineering Team

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
May 04, 2022 May 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can we please roll this into the latest stable build? I haven't been able to use the beta for some time so I would REALLY APPRECIATE having this critical timesaver included ASAP. Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 10, 2022 May 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there @jackthegiantslayer ! Happy to tell you that the separated dimensions preference is now available in 22.4 -- it should be there waiting for you when you update. 🙂

User Voice update: https://adobe-video.uservoice.com/forums/911311-after-effects/suggestions/33841975-separate-dimensio...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
May 10, 2022 May 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I super appreciate it, thanks for the hard work and team communication!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources