Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Flickering Cache bar / unable to cache

Community Beginner ,
Jul 27, 2021 Jul 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hello everyone, 

since yesterday after effects is suddenly unable to cache my compositions. Instead of caching it like it used to, the cache bar just randomly flickers all the time. I already tried to purge the caches and everything multiple times, selected new locations for them, changed the resolution and minimized my project files. I m already working with precomposed comps and proxys. Everything behaved fine before.  I have tested to open a new project and imported a clip into the compositon to see if it occurs again. It worked perfectly fine. The sequence was cached and the green bar behaved normally.  Has somebody experienced this problem and knows how to solve it. I have worked tones of hours on this project and would appreciate every helpful advise. 

TOPICS
Error or problem , Performance , Preview

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Without any info about your system, your project, cache settings, preview settings and so on nobody can tell you much. From mundane hardware acceleration issues to a specific effect causing trouble this could be anything. You need to be more specific.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Im working on a MBP ( i9,vega20 4GB). My poject is 30 sec long with a tone of effects ( stabilizator, rotobrush, time manipulate effects, positioning, scaling etc.) I work in a 1080p timeline and the clips im working with are proxys in 540p ProRes Proxy - replacing the final 4k Clips(ProRes 444). I assigned 200GB of storage for disk cache located in a liabary folder where ae saves it natively. I tired to relocade the folder to an external ssd or deskop wich worked without any issues in the past, but havnt solved the problem. The preview settings are on full or half, depending on how much detail i need to see for the change i do. Below is a vimeo link wich is showing how the cache bar is flickering without caching any file to get a usable playback. 

#https://vimeo.com/340352754/9dae0abd1c

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any chance your ProRes CoDecs simply got busted by a botched update of the Adobe apps, some system update or some third-party software (GoPro et al)? In such a case try a clean reinstall at least. also verify that the caches are actually cleaned out properly and AE isn't attempting to use data from your proxy files. Other than that this should work, but who knows...

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So I ve cleaned out all caches and deleted ever after effects folder wich could have stored any data on my system, deinstalled it and reinstalled again. Unfortunatly the problem still occurs. Since I m using an external SSD to store my footage, i ve tried to transfer everything to the internal drive to see if it helps. That didnt help neither. Thats super frustrading because I have to deliver the project and im literally unable to finish it. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 28, 2021 Jul 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried actually rendering preview clips via the render queue? This may at least give you something to work with and in most cases users have reported that this remains unaffected by preview/ cache issues due to how the rendering works. Other than that if the data is on an external drive I would suspect some systemic issue. Perhaps the drive volume is not connected properly or over the usage time has filled up with redundant file restore information, causing data fragmentation and slowdowns. Same for internal cache folders. I'm not a Mac guy, but from reading I gather that using File -> Info you should be able to clean some of that up. Otherwise I guess an excursion to the disk utility might also provide soem clues and potential fixes.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 25, 2021 Sep 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey there, 

I am having the exact same issue! I have done everything you have mentioned as well and it's still flickering not cacheing and I am unable to preview my comps in cached timelines. It just jitters along exactly like your link:

https://vimeo.com/340352754/9dae0abd1c

Did you end up finidng a solution to this? 

I am unable to do client projects because of it 😞 deadlines are coming 

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 02, 2022 Feb 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

has anyone been able to figure out a fix because I am also having this problem. it seems like when i go into my preferences everything looks like its working fine, but when i close and go back to my timeline it does the exact thing happening in these videos....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 26, 2022 May 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

has anyone found a solution to this. I'm having the exact same problem. Cache playback is impossible right now. It keeps on refreshing/flickering. 

2 things I noticed: 

A previous project (older) does not have the same problem, so it seems project related (wrong save?)

If I save the file (ctrl + s) inmediatly after an asterix (*) is added to the titlebar, after the filename, suggesting that the scene has been changed. So when you close the scene after saving, it asks you if you would like to save the scene, although you haven't changed anything.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

other things I have tried that did not solve the problem:

- rebooting

- clearing disk cache

- changing the project settings video rendering and effect from "mercury software only" to "mercury gpu acceleration (cuda)"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I updated after effects (there was an update available) and the problem is gone. Solved!  (for me at least).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also delete the complete temp folder in windows. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 27, 2023 Mar 27, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Problem solved!

Check if there is any warp stabilizer effect on any footage.

Press Analyze and voila la!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines