• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Folders in the timeline, if we can't make them there, does that mean we have to make a new comp...

Contributor ,
Mar 17, 2021 Mar 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry for such a basic question. I'm coming from Illustrator and Photoshop where you can make Group layers easily in the panels. From what I can see, you can't do that in After Effects. So my workflow is like this:

1) Create a master folder.

2) Create a new comp for each piece in that folder.

3) Drag those comps into the Timeline.

4) Go back to the Project Panel and create new comps as needed.

Am I following the best workflow or is there a way to organize things better in the Timeline? 

TOPICS
How to , User interface or workspaces

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Mar 17, 2021 Mar 17, 2021

Yes, pre-compositions are your "folders" or "groups" in the timeline, respectively. How you organize stuff in the project panel is entirely up to you. Those folders and such don't bear any relation to the timeline organization. AE only cares for the absolute reference to the source items.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
Mar 17, 2021 Mar 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, pre-compositions are your "folders" or "groups" in the timeline, respectively. How you organize stuff in the project panel is entirely up to you. Those folders and such don't bear any relation to the timeline organization. AE only cares for the absolute reference to the source items.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Mar 18, 2021 Mar 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I confess, I was hoping someone was going to tell me we can actually make folders in the Timeline and/or I was doing it wrong. 

Thanks for the reply,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 16, 2022 Jan 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

so can you make a folder in project panel to see easier whats going on?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines