• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Font property on ranged selection set through expression?

Participant ,
Apr 08, 2021 Apr 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there a way to parametrically set one (or a selection of) word(s) inside a text source string to a certain property via an expression?
If I have a text layer "ONE TWO THREE FOUR FIVE", all in font weight Light, is there a way to set only the third word (or whatever selected via an expression slider) to font weight Bold?

(No, the Range Selector is not an option, unless you could use it to attribute text properties to a specific range - which at the moment it can't)

The reason for setting via an expression is because it needs to be output to a Mogrt.
If they used AE, they could just select the required word in the text string and set it to Bold, but thru Essential Graphics, this is not possible.

TOPICS
Dynamic link , Expressions , Scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Apr 09, 2021 Apr 09, 2021

... and if you like the three-separate-text-layers-solution but need a centered text: Here is an easy approach to center such layouts that consists of many individual texts: https://mamoworld.com/tutorials/center-dynamic-layouts-easily-after-effects-pins-boxes

Votes

Translate

Translate
Participant , Apr 09, 2021 Apr 09, 2021

Great alternative solution!  Been a fan of your extensions for years!

I found a working workaround with splitting the layer in 3 parts (regular, bold, regular) with "*text*" as the synthax to indicate which part needs to be bold, and connecting them via sourceRectAtTime.

But seeing the Pins&Boxes extension has given me inspiration for other things.  

Danke!!

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
Apr 08, 2021 Apr 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It could be done with a lot of string operations and text style expressions, but since it likely wouldn't work reliably once used inside Premiere, it's like trying to put out a fire with oil. Sorry, you may be looking for the wrong solution. Why not simply use two layers and clip them somehow e.g. with linear wipes? Always seems to me people are too keen on going fancy with stuff that didn't even exist two versions before and forget about old tricks...

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,
Apr 09, 2021 Apr 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My motto is always : "If it could be done, then there has to be a way to get it done".
It's not a matter of "forgetting old tricks", but trying to meet evolving clients' demands.
Clients are no longer paying for days and days of AE work, when they now know they can do it in-house with Mogrts.
Of course it's up to us creatives to communicate to the client where/what the limitations are, but that doesn't mean one shouldn't find and embrace new ways of doing things, instead of staying stuck with the old.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And to prove a point, I DID find a working solution, which only uses 2 lines of expression, AND allows for full use of every text property available.
And it works as a Mogrt for Premiere as well ... so ... instead of focussing on "it probably won't work", maybe focus a little more on "how can it DO work".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 11, 2023 Aug 11, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey @VFXbear can you please share your result? I am looking for the same solution you might have the answer to.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 16, 2023 Oct 16, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I'm trying to do the same thing, any chance you can share a run-through of how you did it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As a workaround, you could split the text into three text layers "ONE TWO", THREE", and "FOUR FIVE".

With my extension Pins & Boxes it is very easy to parent the second text to the right edge of the first text (and the third text to the right edge of the second) such that they move whenever one text is changed.

I know this is not the same as hard-coding in an expression that always the third word is bold, but maybe your client appreciates that he now has an easy way to control which part exactly is bold.

Mathias Möhl - Developer of tools like BeatEdit and Automation Blocks for Premiere Pro and After Effects

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

... and if you like the three-separate-text-layers-solution but need a centered text: Here is an easy approach to center such layouts that consists of many individual texts: https://mamoworld.com/tutorials/center-dynamic-layouts-easily-after-effects-pins-boxes

Mathias Möhl - Developer of tools like BeatEdit and Automation Blocks for Premiere Pro and After Effects

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great alternative solution!  Been a fan of your extensions for years!

I found a working workaround with splitting the layer in 3 parts (regular, bold, regular) with "*text*" as the synthax to indicate which part needs to be bold, and connecting them via sourceRectAtTime.

But seeing the Pins&Boxes extension has given me inspiration for other things.  

Danke!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 07, 2022 Jul 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi VFXbear,

I'm struggling with the same problem. I have to make text fields which need to be adjusted in Premiere. But the client wants some words to be highlighted with a bold style of the font. Wat have you exactly done with those expressions?

Would be great if you could help me with this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines