Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Frame conversion to Photoshop Layers - NOT WORKING

New Here ,
Jun 01, 2021 Jun 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

After too many failed attempts, asking for help here. I need to convert an AE file frame to Photoshop Layers. I went through all the steps:

Composition > Save file as > Photoshop Layers.

The process started as it should have, but every time I get to about 20-25% complete, it says Photoshop ran out of memory on my device.

It's not possible. I've cleared out way, way more memory than needed to complete this project. Gigs and Gigs of space.

Help! I really need the layers information so I can convert the look to print.

Thanks!

TOPICS
Crash , Error or problem , Freeze or hang , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

out of memory mean you don't have enough memory to open the file, you can try to open it online using this website https://www.photopea.com it's similar to photoshop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not sure that's it?

I'm trying to create a .psd file with layers directly from a selected frame within the .aep file.

When I go the route I described above to save it as a Photoshop Layers .psd, it starts to convert and save but after 20% or so, it shuts down after flashing:
- The Photoshop Library operation failed because the device has no free space.

Like I said... I have a TON of free space according to what the memory and storage is showing me. I don't understand why I am getting this and several other error messages with After Effects. I'm worried this is more of a bug issue than a performance/memory issue on my Mac.

Would someone be willing to jump on a Zoom call or something similar and walk me through how to solve this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also, I have to force quit after effects each time I try... it freezes the program. 

None of this sounds like a space issue to me. It sounds very buggy. Again, if someone would be willing to jump on a call/Zoom with me to walk through things, I'd greatly appreciate it! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Sep 04, 2023 Sep 04, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree. Currently I am running After Effects 2023 on a Mac Pro 2019 and OS 13.5.1. The Photoshop layers I am trying to export from 4k ProRes 444 files just doesn't work. AE hangs each time & I need to hit the escape key, then export each individual layer as a PNG image. In my view Adobe need to make this feature more robust, as they did with Photoshop in Motion mode. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is the frame size of your comp? What is the available ram? This sounds like you are running out of resources and disk cache is only one part of your available resources. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 02, 2021 Jun 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Frame size was 1920x1080. Available RAM varied with the MacBook Pro. I've been told it "optimizes" available RAM so that it appears to be using whatever is available all the time to maximize performance. TBH, no idea if that's a real thing.

In any case, I wonder what's happening because when I initiate the Photoshop Layers process, it immediately sucks up to 90 GB in generating 15% of a new file... then freezes... then crashes... then generates an error report to Adobe while telling me it doesn't have any answers for my issue.

It all seems very suspect - especially using 10s of GB to generate a Photoshop file?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How much RAM does your MacBook Pro have?

How much Available Disk Space does your MacBook Pro have?

The large amount of drive space you see in use may just be the After Effects Disk Cache.  Have you tried purging the All Memory & Disk Cache (Edit > Purge > All Memory & Disk Cache)?

I'd try to simplify what you're asking After Effects to do.  Try hiding all but the background layers and then choose Composition > Saved Frame As > Photoshop Layers.  Then try hiding all but the middle layers and then doing Save Frame As.  Then try hiding all but the foreground layers and then doing Save Frame As.  Assuming this works as expected, duplicate the layers from the second and third PSD files to the first in Photoshop.

That said, it may be worth creating duplicate Comps for export as PNG files that you then restack into a new Photoshop document.  In addition to likely better preserving the apperance of the Comp, PNG files from AE tend to allow for changing the print resolution (the dpi) on the Photoshop side better than layered PSDs from AE. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Total RAM: 16GB

Available Disk Space: 88GB / 250GB

I did purge everything (a couple of times) along with uninstalling several programs ... in effort to provide as much space as possible. Didn't work, obviously, since I'm asking. Thanks for the suggestion there, though.

I will try the simplified approach - hadn't thought of it that way, but I see where you're going. Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There's definitely something strange going on.

Which version of After Effects is it?  Another thing to try is a version up or version down.

It might not hurt to launch Disk Utility and run First Aid on the off chance there's some sort of storage media issue.

Sometimes the AE error messages are spot on though, even when they seem unlikely or that some sort of bug must be happening.  If you happen to have an external drive with lots of free spaced (like a 1TB USB-C SSD drive), it may be worth attempting to save the layered PSD to it.

What else?  Hmm... oh, try disabling all of the Layer Effects and then see if that exports as a test.  You could also create a new project with a Comp with just a few layers as a troubleshooting step.  If that saves the PSD as expected, you know it's something specific to the AEP file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Sep 04, 2023 Sep 04, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Quite, purging the cache does not solve the problem. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 29, 2022 Apr 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have had the same issue.  Freezes and I need to redo it.  I clear the cache and everything before hand. It's just a damn photoshop layer for gods sakes.  I'm also having some issues with Element 3D as well running out of memory quickly. I have 32 gigs of RAM, but I think my computer is old, and they aren't the same as new ones.  Or it could be the new 2022 version.  I didn't have this issue in 2021

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 27, 2023 Mar 27, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any resolution to this? I'm in After Effects 2023 and it still crashes consistently during a PSD export of one frame. 

I can't imagine it's a RAM problem. My workstation has 256GB of RAM and nothing else open, and still AE still can't pull it off. Any update, Adobe?
Screenshot RAM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 27, 2023 Mar 27, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It usually works.  Are you getting an error message?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines