• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Get visible layer name at a specified time.

Explorer ,
Apr 23, 2021 Apr 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I need to get the layer name at in comp in a specified second amount

So, if I wanted to have at 4 seconds, it would return the layer that is showing at 4 seconds.

Any hints?

TOPICS
Expressions

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Apr 23, 2021 Apr 23, 2021

You can query the isActive() attribute in expressions and scripts. That's pretty much all you need. You still need to iterate through all layers, though. Given how AE works, there is no way to ensure it would automatically return only one reference even if the layers are stacked neatly.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can query the isActive() attribute in expressions and scripts. That's pretty much all you need. You still need to iterate through all layers, though. Given how AE works, there is no way to ensure it would automatically return only one reference even if the layers are stacked neatly.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

That's a little tricky. I think you could do it with 2 text layers that you would put at the top of your layer stack. The first one would be named "Name" and would get this source text expression:

txt = "";
for (i = index+1; i <= thisComp.numLayers; i++){
  L = thisComp.layer(i);
  if (! (L.hasVideo && L.active)) continue;
  txt = L.name;
  break;
}
txt

You would turn off the visibility eyeball for "Name". Above that (becoming Layer 1) you'd add another text layer with this source text expression:

t = 4;
thisComp.layer("Name").text.sourceText.valueAtTime(t)

This new text layer would display the value of the first text layer at whatever time you specify for vairable "t" (4 in this example). There may be a simpler way, but this should work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines