• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

GPU Effects Error

Community Beginner ,
Apr 14, 2021 Apr 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I started a project on Monday, and everything was working fine. Then on Tuesday I have opened the same project and started getting the "GPU effects error". At this point, I can't even use AE anymore.

gpu effects error.JPG

So the problem is not the hardware, like the weak GPU (I have 2xQuadro p4000 cards).

I should mention that after finishing work in After Effects on Monday night, I have installed Octane for c4d demo. It doesn't make much sense that Octane should cause this problem, but that's the only thing I can think of. 

I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling drivers, tried different versions of After Effects, I got rid of Octane of course, but the problem is still there. 

Any ideas how to fix this?

 

TOPICS
Error or problem , Performance , Preview

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Apr 21, 2021 Apr 21, 2021

As it turns out, this GPU Error probably has nothing to do with the Octane installation, it was most likely caused by Keylight 1.2 (4K footage with Keylight applied on multiple layers). Once the "GPU effects error" would pop up, it wouldn't go away regardless of turning off the effect, or reducing preview settings. It would stay with the file somehow, even after purging all Caches and Memory, which made the troubleshooting more difficult.

The solution was in turning off Mercury GPU acceleration

Votes

Translate

Translate
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can't use After Effects anymore?  What happens when you choose one of the two options you're offered?

~Gutterfish

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 15, 2021 Apr 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am able to start After Effects and open the files, but it can't really preview anything, instead it starts giving me a GPU error after a few frames, if any. So it is not offering me any options, it just doesn't work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Without actualk crash info and other technical details nobody can tell you much. Chances are that installing Octane replaced a system DLL and you're missing that, but who's to say? As a start you could at least try and completely force-remove your graphics driver via device manager, then reboot. Maybe reinstalling after that will yield soem improvement.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually After Effects is not crashing, it is just giving me the error message, so there is no crash info. What other technical details can I make available? Please let me know and I'll try to get it for you.

I have actually removed the driver through the device manager, but upon reboot nvidia driver automatically reinstalled itself. I will check if there is a way to prevent that, and give it a try again. Thanks for suggestion.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried deleting the driver through the Device Manager again, reboot in safe mode, and reinstalled the driver (using the delete previous version option). Unfortunately, that didn't help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 21, 2021 Apr 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As it turns out, this GPU Error probably has nothing to do with the Octane installation, it was most likely caused by Keylight 1.2 (4K footage with Keylight applied on multiple layers). Once the "GPU effects error" would pop up, it wouldn't go away regardless of turning off the effect, or reducing preview settings. It would stay with the file somehow, even after purging all Caches and Memory, which made the troubleshooting more difficult.

The solution was in turning off Mercury GPU acceleration in Project Settings, saving, and re-opening. Just turning off GPU acceleration didn't work, it would just give me a "Keylight out of memory error". Here are the steps that I went through to fix each file:

1. Go to Edit/Preferences/Display, and set "Hardware Accelerate Composition, Layer, and Footage Panels" to off
  2. In Project Settings, under Video Renderings and Effects, select: Mercury Software Only
  3. Save project and close it.
  4. Purge All Memory and Disk Cache under Edit/Purge
  5. Quit AE

Next time the project opens hopefully it will preview without any problems.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 08, 2021 Jul 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

GPU Support in AE is less than satisfactory in my opinion. at this point it is really misguiding to label the product suitable for professionals.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 15, 2021 Nov 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This solution works for me pretty good . Thanks @Marko K 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 29, 2022 Jun 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I confirm, if you deactivate Mercury acceleration (software only) you won't have anymore the annoying GPU memory error.
This happens to me in CC 2022 on RTX 2080... this was the solution. Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 14, 2023 Mar 14, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yeah, but how about Adobe would finally manage to make satisfying workflows for motion designer possible and figure out a way with the dudes over at maxon how it might be possible to work with both applications open and not having considerable exponential time-loss in redshift for example after just having opened AE? It is no good workflow to having to only be able to have either AE OR C4D/Redshift open... When I open my C4D File i have 5 mins on the first render... the i open ae and the next c4d render all of a sudden takes 25mins.... other professionals in my field have confirmed that it is no option to leaving AE and Redshift open at the same time... i think its time to pay back the community and figure some gpu-method that actually works without interfering with redshift/c4d and has an easy dock station for all plugins... most plugs like sapphire I have to turn off gpu support or it wont happen... its been 20 years since AE excitedly announced CUDA Support which has since then been an utter failure... now we finally have something like GPU Support... but it kills our C4D GPU Performance along the way... time to sharpen up, dont you think?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines