Welcome Dialog

Welcome to the Community!

We have a brand new look! Take a tour with us and explore the latest updates on Adobe Support Community.

Green flicker and glitch when previewing and after rendering

Community Beginner ,
Apr 25, 2018 Apr 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi ! i'm currently clueless, I have wierd flicker issues and I can't find any fix/answer anywhere.

The problem started after I imported an After Effects project inside an other one. Now, when I preview a composition, it start to flicker. Sometime random frame appear (some from deleted videos or some that should appear later on) and sometime it's green flicker. At the time this glitch started, I was not on the latest version of After Effects. The last time I updated the software was 1 months ago. Still, the glitch persists after updating to the latest version.

I allready deleted After Effects, cleaned the pc (the registery + temp files + defragmentation), restarted the computer and restalled After Effects, but the problem persists.

The flickers affects any project, old as new. As soon as I open any project and I start a preview, the glitch begins.

here's an example : wierd Glitch - YouTube  Flickers start around 9 sec

Anyone know how to resolve this issue ?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Beginner , May 28, 2018 May 28, 2018
I resolved the problem by openning a ticket with the adobe support. After a small chat adobe asked to take control of my pc, and I accepted.The problem was a wrong installation of a plugin. Some folder are not deleted when you delete after effect from the control panel or with the cloud app, so you need to remove these folder manually.Try to open a ticket with the support of media encoder, since there is no live chat with the support of adobeHope it help !

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner , Jun 15, 2021 Jun 15, 2021
CONTEXT: Ok, so 2 years after I created this thread, I see google is pushing the post quite a bit. I want to edit this thread with the correct answer since what I pinned in 2018 is not the correct way to resolve the issue. WHY IT HAPPENS: These kinds of glitches appear when you use footage that After Effects can't read. Most of the time, for me, it's when I import videos took with a smartphone or some cameras.  HOW TO RESOLVE: Encode all your imported footage into Quicktime PRORES 422/PRORES 444...

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Before you try anything else, first try clearing AE memory & caches.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's the first thing I did. I tryed to clear the memory and the caches several time, but nothing changed

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 28, 2018 May 28, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've got the same problem and I'm using a Mac.
Started happening when I updated AE. Problem is that is no longer affects the preview, AE now RENDERS these green flickers into the video.
I tried:
checking the original video, does not have the flickers.
Purged all memory
Reinstalled AE

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 28, 2018 May 28, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I resolved the problem by openning a ticket with the adobe support. After a small chat adobe asked to take control of my pc, and I accepted.

The problem was a wrong installation of a plugin. Some folder are not deleted when you delete after effect from the control panel or with the cloud app, so you need to remove these folder manually.

Try to open a ticket with the support of media encoder, since there is no live chat with the support of adobe

Hope it help !

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 30, 2018 May 30, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Would you mind sharing what exactly they did? It might help the rest of us

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 11, 2018 Jun 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem. The frame glitches to random spots and then back and flickers green every few frames. I’m not sure why it’s doing this.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 14, 2018 Jun 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ok, so the green flicker returned in another project, and after investigating I finally found the source of the issue. The problem was a specific codec from my camera. because of that codec After effects was unable to read proprely the files. this post from 2011 explain quite well the problem : CreativeCOW​​​.With Media Encoder, I transcoded my .mp4 file into a lossless quicktime format (DNxHR RGB 444 10bit) and everything work fine now. the flicker and wierd glitch are gone.

Let me know if doing the same thing resolved your issues.

For the folders, I do not remember where and what they are. I'm absolutely not sure, but I guess they are %appdata%, in program files or in documents. The best is to open a ticket to the support. I'm really sorry.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Oct 06, 2018 Oct 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just did a test using iPhone footage in After Effects with a screen recording. Randomly produced green flickering. Replaced clip with an .mp4 converted with Adobe Media Encoder and it worked perfectly. Cheers!

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 10, 2020 Jul 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Solved using Adobe Media Encoder!

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 06, 2020 Oct 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

wow, yes it worked!

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 30, 2020 Nov 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

life saver 🙂

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 12, 2020 Dec 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

could you explain how you converted it? Im new with media encoder.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 12, 2020 Apr 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It accures because the footage frame rate doesn't match the comp frame rate
try to convert the video or change your comp frame rate

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 08, 2020 May 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found the same as alindi7.  To quickly fix this, I did this...

1. Dragged the offending movie file into Media Encoder.
  2. Set the frame rate to the same frame rate as my comp in After Effects.
  3. Processed footage.  I saved as an mp4, but don't think this matters.
  4. Import the file into After Effects.  The FPS now match and no more issues.
  5. If the speed of the new movie is now too slow or fast as a result, 'Time Stretch' or 'Time Remapping' in AE can be used to compensate.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 12, 2020 Dec 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't see mp4 is there a reason?

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 03, 2020 Sep 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For anyone else that still hasn't fixed it, try changing the depth of the color range. If your depth is 32bit or 16bit per channel, try lowering it to 8bit. That's what worked for me.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 16, 2021 Feb 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I recorded video on my iPhone 12 Pro Max using 4K 60 fps. This .mov file was causing green flickering. Followed every step on here and even try Media Encoder which would not render the video. It would get stuck. What worked for me was converting the .mov file using this site. https://cloudconvert.com/mov-to-mp4

It worked!!! 

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 15, 2021 Jun 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

CONTEXT: Ok, so 2 years after I created this thread, I see google is pushing the post quite a bit. I want to edit this thread with the correct answer since what I pinned in 2018 is not the correct way to resolve the issue.

WHY IT HAPPENS: These kinds of glitches appear when you use footage that After Effects can't read. Most of the time, for me, it's when I import videos took with a smartphone or some cameras. 

HOW TO RESOLVE: Encode all your imported footage into Quicktime PRORES 422/PRORES 4444 or any other lossless codec with Media Encoder. Do not use After Effects, use Media Encoder or any other encoder. Any codec other than h264 work, really.

Replace your footage in AE with the newly encoded footage, and all the glitches will be gone. The easiest way to do so is to maintain alt and drag your new videos above the one in your comp. Release the click once above the layer, and it will replace that layer with the new video.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 09, 2021 Aug 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

everyone here is talking about encoding footage to .mp4 before importing. use handbrake which is a free downloadable desktop app for windows and mac!

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 09, 2021 Aug 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

handbreak or media encoder are great! But tbh media encoder comes with your creative cloud subscription so in a sens better go with what you're paying for.

Just a side note, do not encode in h264, because you're basically compressing your footage two times (one time to remove the glitches in AE, and one time for the final export).

What I recommend with my experience after 3 years in the industry, export to Prores 422 or Prores 4444, both are equally good. This codec can be find under Quicktime. 

Prores is a lossless codec, so writing a file in this codec do not compress/reduce the quality of the footage. Weight of prores are big, often 2 to 3gb, but at least you're not using compressed footage in AE. 

Also, working with h264 often make the timeline less responsive because After Effects has to go over the compression and read beyond it. 

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 23, 2021 Aug 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the updates mtruchon007.  Couple of things for me.  I am using a 12 core processor with Nvidia K4200 and get the green flickering when rendering out of AE 2021.  Interesting thing is that the beginning part of the video that renders does not involve any video file clips (.mov, .mp4, etc..), yet it sill flickers green when rendering for final out put (not in the render preview but hitting the spacebar and pre-rendering.  Only the finished outputted file.  Now if I take this exact AE file and render from my old machine (2gb video card), although it is slow, there is not green.  I feel like this is sometime of missing codec or possibly something with the K4200 video card.  I would change all my videos and convert them but again, my video card from old computer has no issues with green flickering when rendering wtih AE 2021.  Weird.  Any other ideas?

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 23, 2021 Aug 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Following up to my response above.  My gut feeling was right in that I was not required to go back and modify all of my footage (especially since a different machine and video card worked without green lines when rendering the same file).  I found feedback from someome at Adobe and I followed these steps in this order and it workd.  I no longer see any green in the final output file when exporting an AVI out of AE.  The file is huge so now I need to see how this can be done when exporting out of Encoder so the file will be an mp4 and only 50mb vs 15gb.  If anyone out there knows how, please let us know!

In AE go to preferences/import

Clear both disk caches in this order (preferences/media cache, then preferences/disk cache

Close AE and reboot PC

It worked for me after these steps.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines