Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Grouping/locking vertices

Explorer ,
Feb 15, 2023 Feb 15, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I'm trying to make a relatively complex shape that morphs into a simpler shape (working on geographical mapping), and I've went all in on the initial shape and added a lot of vertices to define it. Now when moving into the simpler shape, my work time is getting exponentially heavier, as in a way I have more and more vertices to position for a simpler and simpler shape.

Is there a way to put multiple vertices into a single position, therefore at least visually making them appear as 1 vertice, and lock them together, to be able to move them as 1?

I've tried using shape mask grouping, but it just seems to disrupt my timeline settings, and still if I try to move 1 of the vertices from the group, it only moves 1 and not the entire group. And I have just way too many vertices and would ideally like to have em "locked" together.

Thanks,

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I create the moving map area animations, I usually use the Create Nulls from Paths/Points Follow Nulls script and then animate the nulls instead of the vertices. It is easier for me to control. When you need to move a bunch of points together, it is easy to parent the nulls together and continue the animation. I start with the most complex shape I will end up with and then animate back and forth until I am done. It's by far the most efficient way I have found to do this kind of animation.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Appreciate the response. Is it at all possible to see your sample, like you've shown in the other thread? If not, that's alright, I'll look into using Nulls. Haven't at all tackled them yet.

Thanks,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm in the middle of finalizing an edit. If I get some time later tonight I will try and post a sample.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 17, 2023 Feb 17, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

No worries, will look into what you suggested, thanks in any case.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines