Exit

Guys help! Got a huge problem. I need to bevel this logo shape

Community Beginner ,
Mar 24, 2022 Mar 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

project image.jpg

Guys after creating this animation with this shape, I want it beveled

Is it possible to have it beveled? I tried but the part that is beveled which I have hidden is not the shape I want beveled but the animated one

Newbie to Ae so what am I doing wrong???

Project files below:

TOPICS
Error or problem , How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Mar 27, 2022 Mar 27, 2022

I think you are way overcomplicating things.

Here's my suggestion:

• Get rid of the green JPG and replace it with a green solid
  • Pre-compose layer 1 (the animated PNG), moving all attributes to the new comp
  • Delete the Black Solid (Layer 2)
  • Set the Alpha Track matte for the Red Solid (now layer 2)
  • Select the Bevil Alpha layer styles on the Red Solid and use the edit menu to Copy with Property links
  • Reveal layer styles on the bottom layer (Green Solid) and delete Bevil Alpha
  • Add the Set Matte effe

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Mar 24, 2022 Mar 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are lots of ways to achieve this effect and even simplify it, but to answer your question, you're beveling a red solid, not the logo itself. It would be best if you brought this logo in as a vector shape (or recreated it in After Effects) so you could change the colors and even add the "Bevel Alpha" effect (as opposed to the "Bevel & Emboss" layer style). You would have much more control if you could adjust the effects instead of trying to matte out a solid with a beveled PNG.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 26, 2022 Mar 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

it did not work

I tried the luma inverted matte which produced a bevel with the animation however the luma inverted matte produced a dull green and dull red color when the animation goes from green to red....how do I maintain the standard or even brighter green or red color?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 27, 2022 Mar 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think you are way overcomplicating things.

Here's my suggestion:

• Get rid of the green JPG and replace it with a green solid
  • Pre-compose layer 1 (the animated PNG), moving all attributes to the new comp
  • Delete the Black Solid (Layer 2)
  • Set the Alpha Track matte for the Red Solid (now layer 2)
  • Select the Bevil Alpha layer styles on the Red Solid and use the edit menu to Copy with Property links
  • Add the Set Matte effect to the bottom layer and choose the nested comp top layer as the source (your pre-comp)
  • With the bottom layer selected (Green Solid) Ctrl/Cmnd + V to paste the Bevil and Emboss layer style and link all properties to the Red Solid layer (layer 2) so any adjustments you make on the Layer Styles settings in Layer 2 will show up in layer 3

That should do it. I have uploaded the comp.

RickGerard_0-1648418305135.png

I would also suggest that you work on the timing. An 8-second move on a motion graphic is an eternity, and you should use some easing to give the animation some life. 

One more thing. The Bevil Alpha Effect has limited controls, so I would not use it unless you want limited control over the edges. 

I just had another thought. You could also pre-compose the Red and Green layer with the wipe, use the animated PNG as a track matte, and apply the Bevil Alpha layer style to the pre-comp. 

I hope this helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 28, 2022 Mar 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi rick please can you specify these points?

Do I right click the green solid and go to layer styles>Bevel and emboss or drag and drop bevel alpha under the perspective on the effects and presets on the right? Which one thanks....

How do I reveal layer styles? Do I click to drop down/expand the layer? I dont see any bevel alpha there

Rick from the points after this can you use arrows like one>two>three to know what to click to archieve the excellent result you have provided?

I really appreciate the help

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 28, 2022 Mar 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Rick I'm stuck at the last 3 points

Please what do I click to reveal layer styles and delete bevel alpha??

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines