• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

After effects error: zero denominator converting ratio denominators (17::18)

Community Beginner ,
Mar 03, 2022 Mar 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey,

Whenever I add the CC Force Motion Blur effect to my clip in After Effects I get a pop-up message that says 

"After effects error: zero denominator converting ratio denominators (17::18)"

I click the OK button but the message instantly appears again making the program unusubale. I end up having the fully quit after effects to get rid of the message.

I'm currently running version 22.2 (windows 11) and my footage is from a linked comp in Premiere Pro. Some clips were shot at 25fps and others at 50fps, the error occurs for both.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!!

TOPICS
Dynamic link , Error or problem , Freeze or hang

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Aug 25, 2022 Aug 25, 2022

Hi all, 

This issue has been fixed in the latest release of After Effects (v 22.6). 

After Effects 22.6 is now live!

Thank you for your patience on this.

Rameez

Votes

Translate

Translate

correct answers 1 Pinned Reply

Adobe Employee , Sep 15, 2023 Sep 15, 2023

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Jun 14, 2022 Jun 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've moved this from the Using the Community forum (which is the forum for issues using the forums) to the AE forum so that proper help can be offered.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 11, 2022 Jun 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a composition with .MP4, MP3 and WAV files included as well as some .AI (imported from Libraries), text and solid layers.

I keep getting the overflow converting ratio denominators (17::19) error message. Have read lots on this forum, but cannot seem to fix it.

• I have no masks
  • I have made the composition frame rate the same as the imported MP4 (25 frames a second).

I can create a new file and import the old file and all seems ok, until I try and add some additional solid/text layers. 

I do not know what to do next. Have lost so much working time, and have 4 more similar videos to create. Can anyone help?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 11, 2022 Jun 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi SuziBeney,

Sorry for your issue.

What's the exact version of After Effects you're using? What are your system specifications (CPU, GPU, RAM, OS version)? Sounds like it's project-specific. Do you mind sharing the project file with us? Feel free to DM me the download link if you don't wanna share it publically.

Looking forward to your response.

Thanks,

Nishu

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 13, 2022 Jun 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Nishu

I'm using After Effects 2022

On an iMac with 16GB RAM, Monteray OS, Radeon Pro 555 2 GB Graphics

It's sadly not project specific as it's happened on another document as well, which has similar file types but I've rebuilt from scratch. I can't share the file itself as it's for a client that I am under quite strict confidentiality agreements for and therefore I can't pass the files over to someone else. 

When I rebuilt a new file on saturday, it seemed fine until I scrolled right through from around 1 minutes to the end of the video (54 minutes) quickly. Do you think it might be a memory/file loading issue?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 27, 2022 Jun 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just as an update even the technical team at Adobe have not found a soloution. They have taken all the error logs to escalate it further. But essentially, for me, After Effects is unuseable at the moment. I've had to find a work around using Premier Pro instead - as I wasted 5 days of client work creating files that ended up corrupt and unuseable.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jun 27, 2022 Jun 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Man, seriously, lots of people are having this error (me included) on many projects. AE team has been notified months ago. They know it's a GPU thing, because they keep suggesting to turn off GPU acceleration (which slows down projects). This is not "project specific", as if it's the fault of the user. It's time for a fix, AE has been unusable for me too for a few months! I thought it had to do with unusual comp dimensions, has this been tested?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 13, 2023 Sep 13, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is an ongoing issue with me as well.  There doesn't seem to be a cause.  I just copied a layer to get started and I got this again.  I'm reverting to old versions because they are stable.  "Zero denominatior comparring ratios" completely freezes AE, and there isn't any way to get out of it, except using task manager.  Getting really frustrating. Program is worthless within 5 minutes of starting a new comp 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 09, 2022 May 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi dear community, I need your help.

I am *desperately* trying to complete a project, but I am being slowed down by the following error which keeps popping up every 2 minutes.

279878218_415892317025249_7178118591163562581_n.jpg

And when I click OK, the same message reappears instantly and indefinitely, forcing me to "End task" through the Task Manager, otherwise I am completely stuck.

It's a nightmare... any help would be much appreciated.

It usually happens when I hit Preview, but not exclusively. It will happen no matter what, like a ticking time bomb.

Is there anyone who knows what it means and can help me fix this? I am a total newbie.

Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 09, 2022 May 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi default82272jkaod6r,

Thanks for writing in.

A corrupted file could cause this issue. Try disabling all the layers in your comp and enable them one by one while trying to reproduce the error to identify which layer is the culprit.

Let us know the outcome.

Thanks,

Nishu

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 10, 2022 May 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Omg it has worked. Thanks so much I was going crazy!

Culprit has been removed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 13, 2022 May 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having this same issue and can't work out what layer is causing it, can you tell me more about your problem layer? Was it an effect?
I'm surprised to hear this is apparently caused by a "corrupted file" as this error message has only started appearing in the most recent version of after effects. @nishu_kush  are you able to tell me more about how to identify a corrupt file so I can try to fix my issue? It's going to take me an insanely long time to turn on and off all layers and find it by trial and error as every time the error is triggered I have to force quit, then reopen after effects.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 16, 2022 May 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We did some investigation and this issue turned out to be a bug. Sorry about that.

Try switching to Mercury Software Only in File > Projects Settings > Video Rendering and Effects tab.

Let us know if it helps.

Thanks,

Nishu

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 06, 2022 May 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

I am getting this error on two specific projects. After troubleshooting various solutions found in the forums, nothing works till now. Anybody has maybe another idea on how to solve this?

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 06, 2022 May 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You need to be more specific and provide info about your system, the contents of the project, render settings and so on as well as what fixes you already have tried. There's a million potential reasons for this error and context matters a lot.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
May 11, 2022 May 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have this problem on MacOS 12.3.1 Intel, AE 22.3. iMac Pro, Vega 56, 64Gb ram. Popped up after updating to 22.3 on a project that worked fine before.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi DegKon & zandwacht,

Sorry for your issue.

Could you share more details? When do you get this error? Is there a particular action that triggers this or is there a particular project that gets this error? Also, please share a screenshot of the error?

We're here to help.

Thanks,

Nishu

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @nishu_kush my issue was solved when I installed a previous version.

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
May 12, 2022 May 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

MFR is off (is always slower than non-MFR on iMac pro), I'm playing back my timeline and the error pops up. When I click it away, there arere 2 more waiting. Playback continues in the background below the error.

I tried disabling layers to pin down what causes it, seems to be several layered PNG sequences using luma track mattes in a precomp. There a shape with a color blend mode too, an exposure effect on one of the layers, gaussian blur on another, Lumetri color on a third. The whole precomp has time remapping applied. Alle comp framerates are 25fps. Preview is set to half res and "skip 1" when error is shown.

I had to downgrade to 22.1.1 to remove the error. Creative Clound updater recently removed the option to "keep previous version" when installing a newer or older version, so I can't send screenshots. To be more precise: to keep older versions, you have to enable "auto-update" in CC preferences, but I don't want auto-update. I need to choose when I update, which is when a paid project is delivered.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 12, 2022 May 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @DegKon ,

Thank you for taking the time to report this error.

There is another thread on this error here: https://community.adobe.com/t5/after-effects-discussions/after-effects-error-zero-denominator-conver...

Please try turning off GPU rendering: File > Project Settings > Video Rendering and Effects > Use > Mercury Software Only

If this resolves the issue then we are aware of the root cause and will be working on a fix soon.

Thanks again,

Jason

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 20, 2022 Mar 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ayah94648789_1-1647820605698.png

I have trouble getting this error. It keeps popping up this message after clicking ok. 

Does anyone know how to fix this issue? I need to force quit everytime this appears...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ayah94648789_0-1647821244090.png

I also got thsi message as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using audio WAV file in this AE file and the bitrate is 2304kbps. Does this file cause issue? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 23, 2022 Mar 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yes, having exactly the same problem on multiple projects. I updated to the latest AE in mid December and it started then.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 25, 2022 Mar 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The "fix" for this is to use 2021.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 01, 2022 Apr 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I edited a video and had to import it into after effects to add some motion graphics and other elements. When I imported the premiere pro project (All sequences) and opened the composition the first half of my premiere pro project is not there in the timeline. Only the second half is there.. All the footages have been imported. I don't know why my timeline seems to have lost half of the edits I had arranged. I also got an error saying "After effects error: zero denominator converting ratio denominators".Screenshot (558).png

Screenshot (557).png

Please help.

Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines