• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

HAP Transcoding in 2023 (Updated)

Enthusiast ,
Jan 25, 2022 Jan 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have been using AME Adobe Media Encoer to transcode files to HAP thanks to Diguise's plugin for a long time. 

I'm trying to convert a 12 minute 1920x1080 file from Apple Pro Res to HAP. 

It says it's going to take 8 hours. 

This is unbearably slow. What HAPpened? 

Old version from VIDVOX:

https://github.com/Vidvox/hap-qt-codec/releases

Stand alone converter from VIDVOX:

https://github.com/Vidvox/hap-in-avfoundation/releases

Latest version 12.0 from Diguise-One:

https://github.com/disguise-one/hap-encoder-adobe-cc/releases

Is there a better way to do this now? It's just a transcode... 

TOPICS
Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 26, 2022 Jan 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's probably fair to assume that the latest changes with multiframe rendering and all that would affect this, be that just indirectly by changing soem mmemory allocation. That said, the obvious answer would have to be to turn of MFR and of course also check the other settings such as hardware accelerated encoding and such...

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Jan 26, 2022 Jan 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmmm, I was not aware you could turn MFR on/off in AME?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 10, 2023 Mar 10, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey, any way to make HAP files through Media encoder 2023 (23.2.1 build 2)?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Mar 10, 2023 Mar 10, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

2023 UPDATE

You can transcode HAP via FFMPEG – this is probably the fastest HAP renderer. You can do this on a Mac or PC. Pay attention to CHUNK count. Export from AE/PR whatever is a lightly compressed or uncompressed codec before sending to FFMPEG. There's a learning curve attached to this process, but just write down what you learn so you don't forget :). That said: HAP's encoding can be pretty rough on gradients and causes some gnarly banding. FFMPEG is free. 

You can still encode directly to HAP in AE/AME/PR by using "After Codecs" – this is a paid plugin from Aescripts. It's pretty good! But I do not recommend rendering directly from sequence(s) to HAP. Faster to encode as some other intermediary first. I have not tested After Codecs for QC recently, but am willing to bet it has similar banding issues (regardless of Hap or HapQ preference)

There's a new third party encoder that I've been using that I like by this dude Jokyo based in France. It's paid. And it costs too much to be honest. And it's locked to a computer which is incredibly annoying if you're moving from machine to machine a lot. You can buy their codecs so you can render using AE/PR/AME or you can buy his stand alone. The stand alone costs more but seems to be more efficient than using AME. I bought the stand alone version and have to admit that it does an incredible job encoding and introduces next level HAP that we so desperately need. Named HAPR, it is a much better looking encode. So far, have tested in Touch and Mad. Touch plays this new version. Mad does not. If you have the dough, this is the path I recommend. His version of HAPQ Slow is only slightly below HAPR imho and it looks nearly as good (much better than FFPMEG and After Codec's HAPQ). Jokyo's HAPQ play in Touch and Mad. 

Also here's a pro-tip: Pay attention to chunk count! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 14, 2023 Mar 14, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Cheers Trashcaneron.  My FFMPEG knowledge is ZERO, tried looking into it a while back and it scare me!!

Have come across After Codecs before, will look into that again as well as Jokyo.  Sorry for my ignorance, what is Touch and Mad?

Cheers again

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Mar 14, 2023 Mar 14, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Touch is short for "TouchDesigner" which is a program where folks use HAP files. Ditto for Mad, which is short for "MadMapper."

These are both "Creative Technology" and playback applications used for things like museum exhbitions, live shows, interactive integration (eg sensors), performances, and other complex AV installations. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines