• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Having issues importing Photoshop files into After Effects as comps in AE 2022

New Here ,
Oct 27, 2021 Oct 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having issues importing Photoshop files into After Effects as comps in AE 2022. I can import them as footage, but not as a comp of any kind.  I get the mac "beach ball of death" and have to do a force quit. Is anyone else having this issue? 

Reinstalled AE and PS.  Restarted multiple times.  Ended up going back to the older version.

Thoughts?

TOPICS
Error or problem , Freeze or hang , Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 27, 2021 Oct 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Anything from insufficient cross-app testing during the rushed Betas these days to a genuine bug. The blame is more likely on the PS side of things as they seem to have updated their code massively again and that may break compatibility in other programs that use the import routines. If at all I would imagine you might need to re-save the files from PS 2022, possibly foregoing stuff like smart objects and extended layer styles. Then again this could not do anything. Realyl impossible to say, but if going back does it for you, then I would advise to just sit it out until the next two or three patches have been issued. Adobe's QA process is so bad these day it makes some botched game releases look good...

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 14, 2022 Apr 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Using the latest Photoshop 2022 with Aftereffects 2021 seems to work, So it makes more sense that the problem is with Aftereffects? maybe?

I have both Ae 2022 and 2021 installed, so I import PSDs on 2021 then open the .aep in 2022, the workaround mentioned by "defaultnaitvym96tna" is not working for me, I'm on windows 11

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 28, 2021 Oct 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having no issues importing PSD files. Granted, I'm on Windows, but everything behaves as normal.

Try creating a brand new, RGB, Photoshop file in 1920x1080. Put, like, two text layers in there. And then try importing that. See if it behaves. If so, yay, we have a start of troubleshooting! If not, roll back to an earlier version of AE (or the public beta) and keep working until you get a moment to file a bug report on UserVoice.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 28, 2021 Oct 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi rickb62730593,

Thanks for writing in.

Is it happening only with the Photoshop files that were created in the previous? Do you have text in the Photoshop files? You could try resetting the app preferences. Here's how: https://community.adobe.com/t5/after-effects-discussions/faq-how-to-reset-trash-preferences-in-after...

Let us know if it helps.

Thanks,

Nishu

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 31, 2021 Oct 31, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same problem, on a Mac with Big Sur

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 01, 2021 Nov 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem and i solved it manualy by luck!
Add PSD file as a footage and drag it to make a compisition 
then Drag PSD file again but this time as a comp.
it will work and then delete the psd footage one 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 10, 2021 Nov 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

this worked for me as well

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 03, 2021 Dec 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Was having the exact same issue and this workaround totally does the trick.  Thank you for sharing your luck with the rest of us!  Much appreciated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 15, 2022 Mar 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It worked!!!! Tricking after effects! Well done!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 05, 2022 Apr 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This workaround worked over here.

Tks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 12, 2022 Apr 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Perhaps I am misunderstanding this workaround, but this wouldn't keep the layers in tact - correct? It would merge them. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 12, 2022 Apr 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You will need to import the file twice.

First as footage and then as composition (retain layer size)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 19, 2022 Apr 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been having this exact same problem suddenly on a Mac (10.15.7) running AE ver 22.2.  Importing even the most basic PSD as a composition - without any text, no layer effects, no placed objects, or shapes - still crashes AE.  I made a simple three-layer PSD with a solid background layer, and two small pixel layers with transparency which still crashes AE.  I tested PSDs with different color modes, bit depths, resolutions, etc.  Simply nothing would import as composition.

This workaround FINALLY helped, and I'm back to work!

Importing the PSD as flat footage, then dragging it to create a new comp *DID* have a noticable lag, but subsequent tests of "drag to create new comp" were instantaneous, and it seems to make AE happy to import the same PSD as a comp afterward.  Very strange.

Thank you defaultnaitvym96tna!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 19, 2022 Apr 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The new version of After Effects (22.3) solved this issue for me...

I'm using a MacBook air M1 (silicon).

I hope it solves this issue for you all too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 09, 2022 May 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the new Mac Studio and AE 2022 (22.3)
and I just can solve the problem ! 
I tried the tricks above but it does not work for meI can't believe, it's such a major issue for Motion Designers !

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 29, 2022 Sep 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

it works thank you 🙏🏻

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 21, 2022 Oct 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

WOW OMG! IT WORKED! 

Can't believe I update to the "latest, greatest, newest" version and I have to hunt for crazy workarounds like this.SHEESH 

Thank you! 

*STEP IT UP ADOBE *

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 01, 2022 Nov 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

From the future, just saying thank you for this, I'm on the latest AE and I spent all day going through peoples suggestions and nothing worked. This method was the only one that seemed to fix the problem. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 14, 2023 Mar 14, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank You! This worked for me as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 07, 2023 May 07, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yup, this one cracked it for me also

using ae 23 on pc

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 08, 2023 May 08, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Worked perfectly fine.
I also got lag when simply interacting with psd layers for the first time, well its gone by appliying this actions.
Thanks
using Ver 23.3.0

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 11, 2023 Aug 11, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just updated to AE 23.6.0 and that seemed to introduce the PS import problem for me. I thought my PS file was too complex so I simplified it significantly, to no avail. I then made a new PS file with just three simple shapes, but still couldn't import it. AE would crash every time. I came across this post and tried the "import as footage"-->drag to new comp-->then "import as comp" and it worked, just like everyone else is saying! Surprised to find that it seems to be happening on different versions of AE and on both Windows and Mac. At least there's a weird fix for it! Thankful for this community.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 31, 2023 Oct 31, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Worked for me too

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 01, 2021 Nov 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

Wed love to look into this. Could you share the following details also with sample Photoshop file?

We're here to help.

Thanks,

Nishu

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines