• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Having lots of trouble trying to add a white solid background layer to my animation.

Community Beginner ,
Aug 06, 2022 Aug 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So I made a paint stroke animation.

This consists of:

1. Adjustment layer

2. Paint stroke shape (which I made and just added motion and stuff here to make it look real)

Well, I need the file to be an mp4 but when I did this it automatically added a black background but I really need to the background to be white or transparent. 

When I try to add the whiter solid background as a layer in the back, it messes with my animation, it turns my adjustment layer into a dark block on top of the white background. I still see my paint stroke shape moving as it should but without any of the effects it doesn't look like the paint stroke anymore.

What did I do wrong???

See pictures below (one is with the white background hidden and the othe ris when you can see the white background)

TOPICS
Error or problem , How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Aug 06, 2022 Aug 06, 2022

Nevermind! If I select the adjustment layer and the paint stroke (without selecting the background) then I can right click and choose the "pre-compose" option and this will only apply the adjustment layer to the paint-stroke or logo or whatever it is!

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Never use paint on an adjustment layer. An adjustment layer has no pixels. Everything you do on an adjustment layer happens to every layer below it. When you paint on a layer, it adds s colored stroke to that layer. If the layer has no pixels (an empty nested comp or an adjustment layer, you get no pixels. 

I don't see any need at all for the adjustment layer. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, okay, I just started using After Effects today, is there an easy fix so I can get the background to be white when exporting to an mp4 without having to remove the adjustment layer and redo all the effects (I follow a youtube video to make the initial animation so I'm not very good at After Effects). Or what's the easiest way to get my animation onto a white background in an mp4 from this point?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Nevermind! If I select the adjustment layer and the paint stroke (without selecting the background) then I can right click and choose the "pre-compose" option and this will only apply the adjustment layer to the paint-stroke or logo or whatever it is!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines