• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

HDR Limiter Plugin for Adobe After Effects

New Here ,
Dec 09, 2022 Dec 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Has anyone found a HDR Limiter Plugin for Adobe After Effects that works? I am often required to suppy UHD HDR content in Rec.2020 color space (ST2084 gamma), but that is limited to P3 gamut. There are times when image anaysis tools like MTI Film Cortex or Colorfront Transkoder report that the maximum gamut level has been exceeded with a HDR gamut target of P3 on renders that come straight ot of After Effects. Currently, I have to import all these AE renders in to Davinci Resolve and use their "Gamut Limiter" color FX. This takes time and disk space.
FF Pictures have been promising something for ages, but it still doesn't work on recent releases of AE. https://ff.de/hdr_limiter_plugin/
Any help with this workflow would be sincerely appreciated. 

TOPICS
Error or problem , How to , Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you actually use color management/ LUTs? Have you tried the various adjustment effects and utility effects like the Compander? What output format? You need to be more specific.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Mylenium, thanks for getting back to me. The output format is 16bit TIFF. Being in the correct color space is not the issue, and exceeding the maximum lumincane level can be observed and controlled using the lumetri scope, but with out a chromaticity scope in AE its difficult to know if the gamut is exceeding P3. Or am I missing something? Below is a screenshot from Resolve demonstrating. To be more specific, after creating graphic titles for theatrical release in XYZ color space, I'm reusing assests over UHD HDR supplied backgrounds that have been graded by a DI house and are in rec2020. I guess I'm looking for a 'Broacast Colors' or 'Video Limiter' type effect to pull and noise or extraneous values in line.

Screenshot 2022-12-09 at 15.04.25.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

But 16 bit is not HDR in AE since it's not float and there is technically no way to produce invalid values. I'm confused, so my best guess is that indeed you may need to convert the input/ output ranges using compander and tweak your color management. The only other reason I can think of is that the output modules are screwy and blow out the ranges. This could be tested by using a different format like PSD.

Mylenium 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines