• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Help! Creating a Shadow Catcher creates a black square.

Community Beginner ,
Aug 18, 2017 Aug 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have restored the settings and I am still having issues. Im new to After effects, im reading a book following tutorials and ran into an issue its not acknowledging.

I am told to Create a Shadow Catcher and Light under an area of text thats on top of a video later thats been tracked.   When I create the Shadow Catcher and Light , the Shadow Catcher appears as a Black square.  I believe its suppose to be transparent? or just doing something else. How do I fix this??

Thanks

-blades

wtfhelp.png

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Aug 18, 2017 Aug 18, 2017

change your renderer to classic 3d or ray-trace 3d (only if you are planning to use extrusion and you have the proper GPU for it). the cinema 4d renderer does not support shadow only"

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

change your renderer to classic 3d or ray-trace 3d (only if you are planning to use extrusion and you have the proper GPU for it). the cinema 4d renderer does not support shadow only"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Roei!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 24, 2017 Aug 24, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can just use the Classic 3D renderer, the only caviat is that the text comes off black at first because the light is positioned very far away by default. The best solution is to just copy the position of the text and paste it onto the position of the light, and then move the light on top of the text. Also, if you increase the diffuseness on the light, it make the shadow look really cool

https://bluefx.net/3d-tracking-with-shadow-catcher

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 20, 2022 Jun 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Lol, I'm using the exact same tutorial and had the same issue. Turns out it's because the cinema 4d rendere is still active by the same book's very previous tutorial.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines