How can I draw a mask in after effects?

Explorer ,
Jan 19, 2022 Jan 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am trying to draw a mask layer in After Effects.

I expect that I am supposed to create a new shape layer. Click on the layer. Click on the pen tool. I expect the pen tool to be appearing as a pen nib + a sqaure with a dot in its centre. Instead, it consistently shows as a pen nib with a star. I expect this UX to be when I have not selected the shape layer before I choose the pen tool. It is not the case. I cannot find an option to convert my shape into a path (when I right click, the roto bezier option is greyed out).

I expect that the instructions in this video should be correct: https://www.google.com/search?q=how+to+draw+a+mask+path+in+after+effects&oq=how+to+draw+a+mask+path+...

I cannot force the pen tool to switch to become a path drawing tool. Where is the fucntion that forces this?

TOPICS
Error or problem , How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,
Jan 19, 2022 Jan 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The tool works this way:

- If you use the pen tool over any kind of layer (except shape layers) you will create a mask as soon as you start drawing a shape.

- If you have previously created a shape layer, the pen tool will create new shape paths on this shape layer. In the toolbar, there is a little mask icon to "force" the tool to create masks in shape layers (check attached image)

Captura de pantalla 2022-01-20 a las 1.31.38.png

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines