• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

how do i loop a rotation endlessly in 3D?

Enthusiast ,
Mar 23, 2022 Mar 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know how to loop a rotation endlessly in 2D using the "time * ... " expression. But in 3D I get this error message. How do get around this?

Thank you very much in advance for your help. 

Screen Shot 2022-03-23 at 10.55.01 AM.jpg

Screen Shot 2022-03-23 at 11.35.32 AM.jpg

  

TOPICS
Expressions

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

X=value[0];

Y=time*50;

Z=value[2];

[XYZ]

You may want to read the onlien help on expression basics.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you very much for your help Mylenium. I'm not sure I understand how to insert that expression you kindly gave me.

What I'm trying to do is endlessly rotate the third Orientation number.  I was hoping "time*..." could do that for Orientation, but so far it can't. 

Thanks again.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All you have to do is to copy-paste the script Mylenium has provided, into the Expression Box. An alternative is to apply your original Expression to either the X or Y rotation instead of Orientation. HTH

Motion Graphics Brand Guidelines & Motion Graphics Responsive Design Toolkits

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Mar 24, 2022 Mar 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Roland, thank you for your help as well. 

When I have a camera parented to a Null in 3D, to simulate a camera orbiting around an object like a map, I set the Null's X Rotation to say 45º, and animate the Orientation's Z axis number. I'd like to endlessly loop that Orientation but I don't seem to be able to do that. Is it because Orientation can't be split up into separate dimensions like Position can?

I did a find a workaround but it forces me to not use a camera and just a Null where I apply the "time*##" to the Z rotation axis. 

1.png

2.png

  

 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Mylenium, I can't get your expression to work in the Orientation section when I paste it there.

I also just got off the phone with Adobe Support and they don't think it's possible to apply expressions to the Orientation parameter. Could that be because it's not possible to separate the Orientation numbers into separate dimensions like you can do with the Position parameters?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Try it this way:

value + [0,0,time*50]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines