• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do I make the Paint tab settings available?

New Here ,
Dec 25, 2021 Dec 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How do I make the Paint tab settings available? I want to make the previous frame visible.

Franken2239461541c2_0-1640454303922.png

TOPICS
Error or problem , How to , User interface or workspaces

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 26, 2021 Dec 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Easiest and most efficient: Use the Window/Workspace/Paint menu

This will give you a layout designed for using the paint tools, and the Layer Panel will be on the Right, the Comp panel on the left so you can see what your paint looks like in the comp while you work on a layer.

Another option is to open the Window menu and select Paint from the list of available panels. 

I have edited my workspace selections in the toolbar and customized each workspace for my most common tasks because well-thought-out workspaces save time, and opening random panels clutters up the workspace.

You said you want to make the previous frame available. Are you talking about onion skinning? If you want to do that in After Effects and you want to do it efficiently the best 3rd party solution is Paint from AE Scripts. If you need to paint on 3D objects try Paint and Stick for a bit more cash. Paint costs about the same as a basic AE artist would charge for an hour of their time so it's pretty affordable.

If you want to fiddle with creating your own onion skin tool in After Effects you'll have to do a bunch of fiddling. The UI isn't going to be as responsive and it is not nearly as easy to work with.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines