• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do I make this mask appear at the lightsaber?

New Here ,
Feb 09, 2022 Feb 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey, I am new to after effects and I want to edit a lightsaber into my scene. I saw some youtube videos, where they did exactly the same, but If I let the video play, above my lightsaber isn´t the whit mask. How do I make it appear? Ty for your help.

TOPICS
Error or problem , FAQ , How to , User interface or workspaces

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That just appears to be a regular white solid with a mask that was tracked. Impossible to know exactly without any idea as to what tutorial you are referring and what steps you may have missed, but I suggest you actualyl look up these things in teh online help.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I used this tutorial on YouTube and I am pretty sure I did not miss any steps, that's why I ask why the mask does not get layered above the original video.

Here is the Video: https://youtu.be/GaOZOnVcE-M

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 13, 2022 Feb 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The tutorial you are following is an amateurish approach to the problem by an enthusiast. Unfortunately, most of the After Effects tutorials you find with a web search fall into the same category. I spend a lot of time on this forum fixing problems for users caused by poorly designed workflows in amateurish tutorials. Be wary of the tutorial if they don't look or sound like a pro. Vet your trainers.

The workflow to create a lightsaber with an animated mask can be a lot more efficient. The easiest way to do manual rotoscoping is to use a colored solid with a blend mode to see what you are doing while creating the masks. Pick a color that is easy to see through and use overlay, screen, or multiply as a blend mode so you can easily see precisely what you are doing. You also want to use a plugin to generate the motion blur or use AE's feather tools in masking. There is also rarely a need for a keyframe on every frame. Let interpolation do a lot of the work for you. 

If your rotoscoped lightsaber is not showing up in your comp, you may have set Masks to off, set layer opacity to 0%, not turned the layer back on, or the layer is set to an incompatible blending mode for the color of your layer.

For many shots, you can also use motion tracking, mask tracking, and even stabilize motion to simplify the roto work. Mocha AE is an excellent tool; Mocha Pro is fantastic for this kind of rotoscoping work.

For the easiest way to generate a really good Lightsaber, use the free Saber plugin from Video Copilot.

The lightsaber part of the tutorial starts at 26:24, and you can download the free plugin here: https://www.videocopilot.net/tutorials/saber_plug-in/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines