• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

how do I make this mask work?

Community Beginner ,
Jul 26, 2021 Jul 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am trying to make a simple animation that looks like it's phone scrolling through instagram.

I have created a main 'instagram portrait, duplicated it several times and then added some JPGs to the project and used masks to make them fit within the portrait. (see pic).

Now I want to make the portraits scoll within the boundraies of the phone layer. But it's not working as i hoped.

I have tried all differnent mask settings and moves the screen layer into different positions, but I cannot acheive the desired result.

Please help!

Screenshot 2021-07-26 at 22.55.21.pngScreenshot 2021-07-26 at 22.56.05.png

Screenshot 2021-07-26 at 22.59.44.png

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 26, 2021 Jul 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Pre-compose the scrolling images and mask the result in the parent comp or use track mattes. I strongly suggest you actually read the online help on some basics rather than directly delving into a downloaded template project and modifying it when you really don't know some basics, no offense.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 27, 2021 Jul 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No. What works for one, does not work for another. This is how I like to learn, but doing, asking for help and solving problems when I encounter them.

You are no one to suggest any different.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Of course you may need more than one such matte if you have multiple layers. Similarly, you may naturally need to change your layout to accommodate your scrolling strips in the pre-comp. It simply seems you have locked yourself into that typical beginner thinking of trying to do it all in one comp with as few layers as possible. That's just not going to work. I would really repeat my point: Start by reading the online help on this stuff and then develop a strategy how you want to layout your animation. Many things in AE cannot be understood intuitively by trial & error and clearly you have navigated yourself into a corner here.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Listen, if i wanted advice off of you, it would be how to do some basic After Effects work. Don't tell how I should learn.

FWIW, nothing you have suggested has worked. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Pre-compose your image layers to a towel-strip sized comp, put it into your phone screen comp. Create your screen shape on top, select it as a track matte in the image-based pre-comp layer. Animate the position of the strip. Done. Please do read the online help on the basics.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines