• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do I transfer my After Effects file to another computer, without losing the images?

New Here ,
Jun 29, 2014 Jun 29, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm currently using After Effects at work to create a presentation, but need to use a colleague's computer because the final edit will be on iMovie.

However... when I open the file on her computer, all the images are gone. Do I have to transfer all the images I used to her computer? And if/when I do, how can Adobe find the files if it's on a different computer?

Thanks!

Roddy

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 29, 2014 Jun 29, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Basics. Really. File --> Replace or File --> Collect before transferring your data. and considering the mess you made, you might want to learn the fine art of creating and working with a dedicated project folder and copying everything you need to it in the first place.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 30, 2014 Jun 30, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Collect Files:

Adobe After Effects CS4 * Collect files in one location

This is a CS4 document - sorry, I've spent about 10  minutes trying to find a more recent version and Adobe's search engine sends me on a wild goose chase each time! - but it's essentially unchanged in any subsequent AE version.  Note that in CC and CC2014 the Collect Files command is in the sub-menu  File/Dependencies.

Edit:  After a bit more scrounging I tracked down a more recent reference:

After Effects Help | Basics of rendering and exporting

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Really appreciate your efforts. I was able to successfully recover all the images following the link you provided.

I owe you big time. Thanks.

Roddy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jan 29, 2021 Jan 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can't believe how condescending some of the replies were to your question - well done for not kicking off at them. I'd have told them

"Please study up."

"considering the mess you made"

"This is the most basic of basic AE skill you should have."

Patronising

I've just come here with the same query as you and I've used AE every near enough workday for the last 7 years. Perfectly valid question - it's not something you need to do often and therefore it can take a reminder to point you in the right direction.

[Profanity removed by moderator]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 29, 2022 Jan 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Seriously, sometimes you're just a confused student looking for some direction trying to figure out a confusing software. The last thing you need is people on the 'adobe support community' to be this condescending. Thanks but no thanks?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unlike Photoshop, but like Premiere pro or any other non linear editor, your project files contain only references to your footage. The original images or video are never effected with you edit or change them in After Effects. If you move the original files, or delete them, then After Effects cannot find them any more.

If you want to share a project either Collect your files, or copy the exact structure of your folders and copy all of your source materials and your AEP file and send the whole thing to a portable drive to move the project to a new computer.

This is the most basic of basic AE skill you should have. Please study up. You cannot be successful producing video if you don't learn how the process works.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not sure why you feel it's necessary to move the project to a different machine.  You can certainly render out the completed AE project in a media container & codec that the other machine can read.  Then it's a simple matter of transferring a single media file.

It's too bad you have to use iMovie.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines