• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to animate hiding Optical Flares layers?

Participant ,
Jul 05, 2021 Jul 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Is there a way to hide Optical Flares layers dynamically on the timeline? I want to hide particular layers of the Rim Light preset at particular times. I can't find an opacity settings for the individual layers - only in the Options window, where the change has to be saved as static change.

Thank you.

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jul 05, 2021 Jul 05, 2021

Depending how you want the flare elements to disappear, I would suggest having each on its own layer and either using the brightness to control their visibility or the layer opacity.  Brightness will give you more control but you might prefer to have the elements just drop off.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don

t think there is any option there, but you could use multiple optical flares effects (each with different elements active) and drive their brightness using a simple expression.  That would give you the end result you describe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you ShiveringCactus.

Is the idea to use each flare on a totally new layer? I'm trying multiple flares in the one layer, and animate the opacity setting of each layer?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Depending how you want the flare elements to disappear, I would suggest having each on its own layer and either using the brightness to control their visibility or the layer opacity.  Brightness will give you more control but you might prefer to have the elements just drop off.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry - I hit enter too soon - no idea how to edit posts here.

I meant to say - Is the idea to use each flare on a totally new layer, and animate the opacity setting of each layer?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Flares don't fade based on opacity, they are based on a lights brightness and Optical flares recognizes AE lights' settings if the flares are bound to them. Just name your scene lights accordingly and reference them in the effects settings. You may want to (re-)watch Andrew's tutorials on some basics of the plug-in.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jul 06, 2021 Jul 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks Mylenium - I will delve deeper into the tutorials.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines