Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to best learn AE

Community Beginner ,
Mar 15, 2021 Mar 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Heys Guys,
I'm normally a 3D Artist, and have worked with 3D Programs for about 7 years. I'm currently trying to get my first job, but lots of places need people that can do both 3D and 2D VFX/Comp. Even though 2D effects and comp interests me, I haven't really worked a lot with AE.
So what I'm looking for is a course/tutorial series etc. that teaches you the important things a VFX artist has to do (greenscreen keying, comp, tracking etc.)
I would say, that I have a good basic knowledge of how stuff works. I have watched tons of Videos about this topic, just because they interest me. So I'm not looking for a total beginner course. Maybe a course for someone, that does not know the software, but something similar like nuke.

Also, what would you say are the most important skills a VFX artist should have. Basically what effects/skills should I learn first to increase my chances foor a job?

TOPICS
Resources

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Mar 15, 2021 Mar 15, 2021

The best way to for anyone to start is to spend a few minutes with the Learn Workspace and get a handle on the UI. The next thing you should do is take a quick look at the User Guide. It sounds like you are past that stage.

Be very warry about tutorials you find on YouTube. Most of the new ones that float around there are prepared by enthusiasts and a lot of them show pretty inefficient workflows. 

The Linkedin Learning series is pretty good. There are some great books on visual effects and

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The best way to for anyone to start is to spend a few minutes with the Learn Workspace and get a handle on the UI. The next thing you should do is take a quick look at the User Guide. It sounds like you are past that stage.

Be very warry about tutorials you find on YouTube. Most of the new ones that float around there are prepared by enthusiasts and a lot of them show pretty inefficient workflows. 

The Linkedin Learning series is pretty good. There are some great books on visual effects and compositing that don't necessarily concentrate on After Effects.  The Illusion of Life: Disney Animation by Frank Thomas and Ollie Johnson should be in every visual effects artists library and you should read it about once a year. The Filmmaker's Guide to Visual Effects is another good book. There are lots of them. Books on specific software like Adobe After Effects CC Visual Effects and Compositing Studio Techniques are pretty good at giving you a good how to use the UI but they tend to get outdated pretty quickly. Personally, a good book is a lot more valuable in the long run than a few tutorials. 

You should also study color, lighting, spend some time analyzing paintings by the masters to get an understanding of how light works. Take your phone out on walks and look for things that show you how light behaves when it wraps around things. Landing a VFX job is about 90% your sample reel. Don't make it too long. If it doesn't wow you in the first 15 seconds, do some more work. Start by picking a specialty. Generalists are a dime a dozen, so pick something you really want to do and work on creating something original. You don't need fancy cameras and a fist full of actors. You just need a couple of very well executed ideas that show folks that you can create magic. 

The most important skill anyone in this business can master is estimating the time it takes to get something done and meeting your deadlines. If you always deliver quality work on time and under budget, you'll always have work. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Wow, thank you very much for the detailed answer and the advise. I will look into the Books you recommended, and I have also some original ideas for using compositing combined with 3D.
I have a bit of experiance with studying color, but I will definately have to stody it a ton more.
Thanks again for the help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines