• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to change default settings for shape layers.

New Here ,
May 22, 2020 May 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello

When I create a shape layer, I can't see it, because by some reasons by default the Fill opacity is 0. How can I change this so the default opacity is 100.  Thank you for any help.

Screenshot 2020-05-22 at 16.07.07.png

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 23, 2020 May 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can edit the preference settings (Prefs*.txt). The location is as follows. It takes time to find the exact parameter. You would need to change it by trial and error.

(Windows) \Users\[user_name]\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\After Effects\[version]
(Mac OS) /Users/[user_name]/Library/Preferences/Adobe/After Effects/[version]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,
May 24, 2020 May 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No need to trash your prefs. The Shape Layer Mini Docked Panel at the top has 'sticky' properties - it remembers your last setting. To change the setting, click on the Label/Word Fill (mini docked panel) to change the values.

FWIW, AE's Comp Settings and Render Queue are other panels that have this 'sticky' feature. HTH

Motion Graphics Brand Guidelines & Motion Graphics Responsive Design Toolkits

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 01, 2020 Jun 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Roland, I'm not seeing any "Shape Layer Mini Docked Panel" therefore I can't change the settings for "Label/Word Fill" How do you reveal this panel? Is this a new feature? (I'm on AE 2019). 

What's frustrating is that AE selectively rememebrs your old settings, I guess.

My problem is with the star tool.

I can't make a star (because I made some funky shape last time I used it, messing with inner and outer radius settings)

I can manually change the settings to what *I believe* are the standard base settings (inner radius 40, outer radius 100). Then I create a new star...no luck...still a mess. Then I tried to restart AE, hoping AE would "remember" my last used settings....no luck. 

Any thoughts?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,
Jun 01, 2020 Jun 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Shape Layer Fill and Stroke properties - Docked Panel (highlighted area). The docked panel appears only when one of the Shape Layer Tools is selected.

ShapeL_DockedPanel_01.PNG

The screengrab below shows the floating window for the Shape Layer's Fill Property. This floating window appears when you click on the label name Fill in the docked panel.

ShapeL_DockedPanel_02.PNG

Motion Graphics Brand Guidelines & Motion Graphics Responsive Design Toolkits

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 23, 2022 Aug 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi everybody,

I'm having the same issues here. Any time before in the near past I've created a shape layer, where I've changed the Opacity for fill, to have a different opacity with the stroke. Now eveytime I create a new shape layer, its fill is set to 23% opacity and I don't know how to change this, because it cannot be changed in the upper panel @Roland Kahlenberg is mentioning.

Does anybody have an idea how to reset shape layer properties to default settings without having to reset all the other preferences?

I would really appreciate your help! 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 23, 2022 Aug 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Ok, peeps, I found the solution right now. But I can't delete my post. 😉 So, yes, there is the option to change default opacity for fill in the upper panel, just like seen in @Roland Kahlenberg 's screenshot. I just missed this one. Thanks again ans cheers! 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines