Welcome Dialog

Welcome to the Community!

We have a brand new look! Take a tour with us and explore the latest updates on Adobe Support Community.

How to change name at a layer?

Engaged ,
Oct 23, 2018 Oct 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there an error in AE 2018 when uit comes to change name at layers? It seams like I cant mark the layer name or chenge the name.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Advisor , Oct 24, 2018 Oct 24, 2018
Are you familiar with how to actually change the name of a layer? You can't rename items by double clicking them like you can in many other programs. Either select the item and the hit the return key, or right click an item and select 'Rename' from the pop up menu.

Translate

Translate
Adobe Community Professional ,
Oct 23, 2018 Oct 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

System and OS, please. I have not heard of this bug and I rename layers all the time every day.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Oct 24, 2018 Oct 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

macOS  High Sierra Ver 10.13.6

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you familiar with how to actually change the name of a layer? You can't rename items by double clicking them like you can in many other programs. Either select the item and the hit the return key, or right click an item and select 'Rename' from the pop up menu.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah Thank You. I tried all sorts of way to do it 🙂
Now it works 😄

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
May 02, 2021 May 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Just in case someone wants a video on this.
I did a short tutorial showing:
1. How to change name on layer and...
2. How to switch between layer name and source name and...
3. What the difference between them is

All in under 60 sec 🙂

:mobile_phone: Watch the tutorial in the YouTube-app (for iOS users):
https://to.mysocial.io/s/c2HiAA2S2

:laptop_computer: Watch the tutorial on your computer here:
https://youtu.be/23lsrs-hczc

:film_frames: Full playlist:
https://youtube.com/watch?v=23lsrs-hczc&list=PLgJlbAYg0mEnZDvh9LUAz-t0rAjCgH8IQ&index=6

How to change name on layers in after effects A.jpg

If you want to change the name of a layer in your composition or you're just confused about the layer names, hopefully this video will make it a little more ...

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines