• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to create this echo trail or motion trail effect

New Here ,
May 03, 2022 May 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can anyone tell me how to create the effect shown in these two pictures of birds in flight?  I don't know if these are stacked and blended still photos, or produced from a video clip.  It looks like a motion trail or echo trail.  If so, can this be done in After Effects and, if so, can someone point me to a tutorial on how to do this?  If it is easier to do this with stacked still photos (presumably in Photoshop) can someone point me to a totorial on how to do that?  Bird echo trail (1).jpgBird echo trail (3).jpg 

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 03, 2022 May 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You basically answered your own question: The Echo effect is your friend.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 04, 2022 May 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks.  By way of background, I do still photography, not video, and I don't even have a copy of Premier or After Effects.  After doing some online research, I found the "Echo Effect" but wanted to hear some people who were familiar with this whether I was going down the right path. Sounds like this will work, so I appreaciate the advice.  I suspect that there is also a way of doing this with a short burst of still photos that are stacked and merged in PS, since all I want is a still as a final product, not a video. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 06, 2022 May 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On the Photoshop side, this looks like Statistics with the Stack Mode set to Maximum, but maybe Mean.

You'd shoot in burst mode with your still camera locked down while a bird flies past (or anything, really).

In Photoshop, choose File > Scripts > Statistics... to open the Statistics dialob box.  Choose your Stack Mode and the files to be used, then click OK.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 06, 2022 May 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks very much for your advice.  I'll give it a try and if I get it to work I'll post some results.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines