How to draw a line from track motion data (following objects)?

New Here ,
Mar 15, 2022 Mar 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Is there a way to draw a line from track motion data in After Effects?

Imagine a video without camera movement and I would like to use track motion to follow a moving object, but I need to create a path recreating the movement made by the object (like a trail). I need to track the object, but how do I record the trail?

I couldn't find help anywhere online.

Thanks!

TOPICS
How to , User interface or workspaces

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Community Professional , Mar 15, 2022 Mar 15, 2022
The same old tricks apply: Write-On or any particle effect that leaves a trail. Otherwise you can copy & paste position data keyframes to mask paths. The mechanics work both ways, not just the more common practice of pasting mask paths to positions. Mylenium

Translate

Translate
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It may be slightly ineffective, but try using the Auto-trace feature (Layer > Auto-trace) and make sure you are tracing the work area.

~Jake

Certified in Premiere, After Effects & Photoshop

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The same old tricks apply: Write-On or any particle effect that leaves a trail. Otherwise you can copy & paste position data keyframes to mask paths. The mechanics work both ways, not just the more common practice of pasting mask paths to positions.

Mylenium

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 16, 2022 Mar 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you both fot the input. Big help!

These seem to be nice work arounds, especially forcing a mask path to position keyframes.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,
Mar 16, 2022 Mar 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Not really "work arounds", just how you would do it.  A work around implies something is not working the way it should be.

~Gutterfish

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines