• Espaรฑol
      • Franรงais
      • Portuguรชs
  • ๆ—ฅๆœฌ่ชžใ‚ณใƒŸใƒฅใƒ‹ใƒ†ใ‚ฃ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • ํ•œ๊ตญ ์ปค๋ฎค๋‹ˆํ‹ฐ
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to format bullet point in after effects?

Explorer ,
Jan 18, 2020 Jan 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I would like to add in a text with bullet point, but I cant seem to get it with the right formatting. I did attempt to format it in illustrator (using tabs and paragraph spacing) before copying and pasting, but to no avail. anyone knows how? 

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

LEGEND , Jan 18, 2020 Jan 18, 2020

AE doesn't support any specific list formatting. You have to manualyl construct it from multiple text layers and/ or using lots of spaces and custom kerning.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate
Valorous Hero , Mar 22, 2021 Mar 22, 2021

This should work -

str = text.sourceText;
bullet = str.split("\r");
numBullets = bullet.length;
newStr = "";
for(i = 1; i < numBullets; i++) {
bullet[i] = "โ€ข " + bullet[i];
newStr = newStr + bullet[i] + "\r";
}
str.split("\r")[0] + "\r" + newStr

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

AE doesn't support any specific list formatting. You have to manualyl construct it from multiple text layers and/ or using lots of spaces and custom kerning.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unless you need to animate the individual character positions using the Text Animators available in a text layer you should be laying out your text in Illustrator. You'll have all the tools you need there. If you need to convert carefully laid out text to editable text, layout the text in Photoshop on separate layers.

The only other option, as Mylenium said, is to use multiple text layers and fonts or shape layers for the bullet points. If you have a bunch of these to do you can add expressions to line up the baseline and spacing from the bullets. 

If you have a bunch of this kind of stuff to do I find that it is easier to layout the animations in Keynote or PowerPoint and generate your movie and moves there, then edit the entire project in Premiere Pro. You can get some pretty fancy text transitions in either of those apps and it is pretty easy to create a movie from either app.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 07, 2020 Aug 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just wrote this script and it seems to work. It is designed to add a bullet with every line return though, so there are limitations to it.

str = text.sourceText;
newStr = "";
for(i = 0; i < numBullets; i++) {
	bullet[i] = "โ€ข		" + bullet[i];
}

newStr

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 25, 2020 Nov 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes. it's work. Thank you so much.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 25, 2020 Nov 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Awesome script, Joshua! Thank you for sharing. 

I wonder if we could tweak this to use a comp/precomp as the bullet symbol. That way the symbol could be literally anything and have animation properties too. I'll try some thing but I'm sort of new to expressions. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 03, 2021 Mar 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 22, 2021 Mar 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there a way to adjust this script so that there isn't a bullet on the first line?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,
Mar 22, 2021 Mar 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This should work -

str = text.sourceText;
newStr = "";
}
str.split("\r")[0] + "\r" + newStr

Motion Graphics Brand Guidelines & Motion Graphics Responsive Design Toolkits

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 23, 2021 Mar 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks so much, this worked great!

I also made a little adjustment to it so that you can enter your own symbol if you want a bullet (I used ">") instead of automatically adding a bullet every new line:

str = text.sourceText;
bullet = str.split(">");
newStr = "";
newStr = newStr + bullet[i];
}
str.split(">")[0] + newStr

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One thing I should have mentioned in my original comment was that you can use shift+enter to start a new line that doesn't create a bullet because it recognizes it as "\n" as opposed to "\r" and avoids the split.

Glad you were able to make it work for you though!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh, haha, that works too! Thanks ๐Ÿ™‚

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 19, 2021 Dec 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Joshua, is there a way to add indents like this? Thanks for the help!

original photo: http://www.powerpointninja.com/bullet-point-therapy/bullet-point-boot-camp-day-three/

Screenshot 2021-12-20 073351.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 08, 2022 Jan 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, but you have to set the Indent from Margin in the Paragraph tab for any line without a bullet point.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 27, 2022 Jan 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you very much, Roland. Works great!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 03, 2022 Oct 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the help. Can you please tell me how to change the color of the text and bullet separately? because it doesn't allow me to change the color of the text, thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 12, 2021 May 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

how to add a script. Please help. I also need bullet points and I cant find a place to add the script.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 12, 2021 May 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On your desired text layer, twirl down the "Text" layer property to reveal "Source Text." Then, to create an expression on the source text property, you can either alt-click the stopwatch or right click the property and select "Edit Expression" (shown below). Then you can write or paste your code into the newly created text field on the right (bottom image).

Hope this helps!

Screenshot (18).png

Screenshot (19).png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 13, 2022 Jan 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is great!

But is it possible to use a comp/precomp as the bullet symbol?
That way the symbol could be literally anything and have animation properties too.

It also would be great for creating bullet list MOGRTs with changeable bullet symbols.

Mvh

Einar

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 13, 2021 May 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Format in InDesign (using alt 8) then copy and paste into AfterEffects. Cheers

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 06, 2021 Aug 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, was wondering if anyone has advice on bullets that have more than one line of text and getting the following line to indent properly. Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did the Option-8 for bullets in INDD and then pasted. Worked well, but to your point about indents, it looked awful without solving that.

So I went back to INDD, put a new bullet where the next line started, and then I just masked the extra bullet out in my final project in Premier. Not ideal, but who could tell?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you're on Mac, option 8 along with the Indent from Margin option in the Paragraph tab should do it.

On Windows, use the key combination that makes a bullet point along with Indent from Margin.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 12, 2023 Apr 12, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For a quick and dirty solution that doesn't involve scripting, try this:

1. Use an Extended ASCII font such as Roboto, Arial, or Times New Roman.
  2. Highlight and copy this Extended ASCII character between the quotation marks - "ยท".
  3. Paste into your text layer in After Effects.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 08, 2024 Jan 08, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For a not very flexible, but quick fix, you can insert an Alt-text bullet point by putting your cursor before the text you want bulleted, then while holding down ALT, enter 0149 on the keypad (windows only, not sure on Mac). Then copy and paste the bullet where needed. Or you can go the Javascript route. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines