• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to get from 8gb to 16gb of Memory

New Here ,
Nov 30, 2021 Nov 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay so I am NOT at all a techincal person, I downloarded after effects yesterday for a project I am working on in school. When I look at my memory intsalled for this app its at 8gb, I have cleared caches and changed RAM allocated to other apps and its still not enough. I want to have 16 gb of memory but I don't know how to do that. I have Mac ios Catolina 10.15, which doesnt allow the user to manually allocate RAM to applications. I currently have 40GB of free storage on my laptop so I have plenty to spare for this program. I keep getting the "after effects error: cached preview needs 2 or more frames to play back" and its really annoying. I feel like there is probably an obvious anwser to this question but I have no clye

TOPICS
Error or problem , How to , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Nov 30, 2021 Nov 30, 2021

When you say you have "40GB of free storage", do you mean you have 40GB of RAM?  Or 40GB free on your hard drive?  It's not the same thing.

Go to "About this Mac", and on the overview page it'll say how much memory (RAM) you have.

You can adjust how much RAM is available to After Effects in After Effects Preferences.  Reduce the amount available for other applications and the amount available to AE will increase, but your overall system may become unstable if you starve it of too much memory

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you say you have "40GB of free storage", do you mean you have 40GB of RAM?  Or 40GB free on your hard drive?  It's not the same thing.

Go to "About this Mac", and on the overview page it'll say how much memory (RAM) you have.

You can adjust how much RAM is available to After Effects in After Effects Preferences.  Reduce the amount available for other applications and the amount available to AE will increase, but your overall system may become unstable if you starve it of too much memory.

Screen Shot 2021-12-01 at 5.46.41 pm.png

 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ohhh okay I get the difference between the two. Thank you for the help, unfortnately I have a macbook air that only allows for 8GB RAM with no upgrades so thats probably why its so laggy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 01, 2021 Dec 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

To fix the issue of "cached preview needs 2 or more frames to playback" try to reduce the preview quality to quarter and keep some frames if necessary, anyway 8GB are too low for AE

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines