Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to get rid of this path 'oversoot'

Participant ,
Jul 14, 2021 Jul 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

I have this weird overshoot at the end of my path that I can't get rid of.

It's interfering with my display in that my follow the leader chacters, which normally all sit at the first keyframe, are bunching up at the end of the offshoot and they end up visible (the first keyframe sits behind another object, so the bunched characters are normally successfully hidden), and I can't move the offshot to hide the bunched characters.

Any idea how to delete the overshoot?

Thank you

TOPICS
FAQ

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jul 14, 2021 Jul 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry - forgot the pic

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 15, 2021 Jul 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I apologise if it's just me, but I can't make head nor tail of your post.  Can you expain the issue with more detail?  Your layer moves faster in the second half of the motion path, but that's presumably just the design of the motion path.

You have three linear Position keyframes and the rest are roving keyframes.  What's going on there?

What is the "delay" slider on your layer linked to? 

Please post images by dragging them directly into your response, rather than adding them as attachments.  It's such a pain to have to keep opening attachments when assessing a problem. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 15, 2021 Jul 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Make sure the Keys column is visible in the timeline. It is the first column in your screenshot*. 

Navigate to the problem keyframe using the left or right pointer on either side of the diamond. Select that keyframe in the timeline. Zoom in to the timeline if you need to. Now use the Animate menu, or right-click, or use the Keyboard Shortcut Shift + Ctrl/Cmnd + k and set the incoming or outgoing velocity to zero and the influence to zero until you get the results you want. When the motion path is exactly the shape you want but you are getting rebound or unwanted movement between keyframes this is an easier solution than using the Pen tool (g) plus the Alt/Option modifier key to adjust the bezier handles on the motion path.

As Andrew said: * The "Drag & Drop here..." area is buggy and should not be used to share images. Please use the toolbar or just drag your images to the reply field.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jul 18, 2021 Jul 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Rick, but it's not making a difference.

It's as if there's position data before the first keyframe. If I delete the first keyframe, the overshoot jumps onto the beginning of he next keyframe.

As a quick and dirty fix, I'll set a bunch of opacity=0 keframes to keep the characters hidden until they hit the frame just after the frist keyframe. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 18, 2021 Jul 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

If the first and second keyframes have the same value just make the first keyframe a hold keyframe. 

I'll be positng one of my Quick Tips soon on keyframe management.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines