• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to subdivide a path in After Effects

Community Beginner ,
Jan 19, 2017 Jan 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi - I have drawn an open mask path in AE and then used the position data to attach an emitter. The problem I have is that the path is not subdivided enough, meaning that the emitter jumps from point to point creating a hard line, even though the bezier path is curved. So I am looking for a way to change the subdivisions or interpolation of the path to add intermediary points.

Can anyone help?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Jan 23, 2017 Jan 23, 2017

Just change the Position Subframe option under the emitter settings. Linear is the default and it's not what you want. Try 10x linear. If that's not enough, try the next one and the next. Each one is slower, but each one is more accurate.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Copy&paste it to Illustrator, do all refinements there and then paste it back.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, the path itself is fine. The points I was talking about turned out to be the frame steps, so I dont think there is a way of making the emitter follow the path more accurately apart from upping the frame rate, which I cant do. So I dont think there's a way around it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 20, 2017 Jan 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What particle effect are you using? Particular has options to "subdivide the path" as you call it, but many of the built-in effects don't.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 23, 2017 Jan 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using Particular. I have precomped it in a comp with double the frame rate then put it back in with 'honour framerate' ticked in the comp settings which I think is working so far. Any tips on workflow or how Particular can subdivide (what should I call it?) are welcome.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just change the Position Subframe option under the emitter settings. Linear is the default and it's not what you want. Try 10x linear. If that's not enough, try the next one and the next. Each one is slower, but each one is more accurate.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you need a keyframe for every frame on a motion path you can add this expression to position:

value

Then select the keyframe assistant and covert the expression to keyframes.

Screen Shot 2017-01-23 at 10.10.59 AM.png

becomes

Screen Shot 2017-01-23 at 10.11.06 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 27, 2022 Aug 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I know this is extremely old, but Rick, thank you, this trick is super clever and helpful. I also added a posterizeTime() which allowed me to fine tune a coarser result. This is also great for resampling shape layers / masks:

Copy the path ▶  paste it on the position property of a null object ▶ run through the process ▶ copy the position result back onto the path property.

neat as! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 26, 2017 Jan 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks everyone

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines