Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to succesfully import XML file with subtitle images

Community Beginner ,
Aug 05, 2021 Aug 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello everyone!
I'm trying to make a video with this style: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5xGjcIYnxwY
The problem is that when I try to import XML file (with subtitle timings) to After Effects, I get error ''After Effects: AEGP Plugin Pro Import: One (or more) VIDEO footage files missing. ( 5027 :: 12 )''

This timelapse video doesn't actually show what happens between exporting and importing the XML file so there might be something I'm doing wrong or not doing at all.
This stuff is very new to me and I'd be really grateful if there's someone who can help me with this.
Thanks already! 🙂

TOPICS
Error or problem , Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

New Here , Feb 14, 2024 Feb 14, 2024

If any one is still looking for this to work. Xml + Png Subtitle importer For AE  click this for the script.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
Aug 06, 2021 Aug 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The text apparently gets converted to images, so I'm not specifically sure what use the XML would even be. AE itself can only use JSON and plain text files as data sources for such animation. There may be a specific script at AEScripts.com that can import XML subs as well, but I haven't checked this in a while. Otherwise you can always convert your XML to AE compatible data as shown in the video using text editors and Excel (or any other calc program). I would suggest you start by reading the online help to get a feel for what data-driven animation AE actually supports and then also research on how to get subtitles in AE. This used to be al lthe rage two or three years ago and I'm sure you can find enough discussions and tutorials on it.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think that XML is for subtitle's timecodes so I don't need to time every image again in AE.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

''All of the subtitles are then typed out in notepad manually and then imported into Subtitle Edit where the titles are tied to specific times across the edit. These timings are then exported out of Subtitle Edit in an XML (readable by After Effects) and transparent image files are also created with the subtitle images. Both the XML file and the images are then imported into after effects ready for tracking and positioning over the final edit.''

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I see what you mean - it feels like a step has been deliberately missed out.

Could you post the XML file here?  The XML itself will be text-based, with paths referencing images.  It might be simple enough to use Excel or Google Sheets to convert the file into a CSV and then you can import that into AE.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes sure!
So when I export this from Subtitle Edit I get this XML file and image files for every subtitles.
XML is totally new thing for me so I'm a little bit lost here 😄

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Using a service like: https://www.convertcsv.com/xml-to-csv.htm

You can convert the XML file to a CSV and this does import into AE. And the contents of each column are all named.  As for following the rest of the tutorial there's a lot left to do, but at least this will get the values into After Effects.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 07, 2021 Aug 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I feel like a really noobish right now but how do I do this right?
Is there something I need to do after I import CSV file? Right now those timecodes are not importing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 08, 2021 Aug 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

At one point the video clearly shows the data being reformatted in excel and a text editor. The only part that isn't realyl clear to me personally is whether they are using AE keyframe data as I explained a few days ago (https://community.adobe.com/t5/after-effects/applying-red-camera-movement-metadata-to-xyz-positions-...), are creating a MGJSON file or some standard subtitle file format like SRT required by a script they are using. I guess the point is realyl to convert the XML/ strip the tags. Everything else should realyl not be that much of a problam as subtitle scripts or other solutions that create text based on spreadsheet data have exiisted since forever for AE. I'm sure on AEScripts.com you would even be able to find a 15 year old script to that effect...

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 08, 2021 Aug 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay I'm so lost now. I really know nothing about any scripts or how excel works with AE. I just wanted those timings from Subtitle Edit to AE but now it just seems too complicated so I think it's better for me to just make those timings again in AE.
Thank anyway!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 14, 2024 Feb 14, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

If any one is still looking for this to work. Xml + Png Subtitle importer For AE  click this for the script.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines