• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

I can't see the preview in composition once I choose to make an environment layer on properties

New Here ,
Jun 07, 2020 Jun 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

When I want to take a jpg picture to use for environment background, I choose "environment layer" in options. At this moment my preview doesn't show anything - I can't explain why, I did all the tutos on YT, need help 🙂

Thank you 

Capture d’écran 2020-06-07 à 18.55.59.png

I'm running on version After effects v17.1 - Mac OS 10.15 - Imac 2019-27' 40gb RAM - 8go Vram

TOPICS
Error or problem , How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jun 08, 2020 Jun 08, 2020

Environment layers don't show up as background layers. You need a layer to reflect the environment. Add another layer to the timeline, make it 3D, press the 'a' key twice to reveal the material options, then start cranking on the reflection Intensity and the other options to see anything.  Environment layers never show up as background layers.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
Jun 08, 2020 Jun 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Long and short: Those are hardware acceleration issues. Since you're on a Mac, you may be out of luck on that one, but feel free to play around with the various settings.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Environment layers don't show up as background layers. You need a layer to reflect the environment. Add another layer to the timeline, make it 3D, press the 'a' key twice to reveal the material options, then start cranking on the reflection Intensity and the other options to see anything.  Environment layers never show up as background layers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you ! I supposed it was a tricky and simple missing thing.

You made my day 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 28, 2023 Jan 28, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi, when I add the 360 environments in Element 3d & go to the render setting and on show in BG then compositions go black screen and not anything Show

can anyone Help me to solve this issue 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 07, 2021 Jan 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If they are never displayed, then how did Andrew Kramer do it?
(1 min) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IUQt7tDnq9k

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Andrew is using an entirely different workflow and a plug-in called element 3-D.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the answer! At 1 minute of the video, Andrew does not use the Element 3D plugin.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Andrew's tutorial is based on CS6 and the Ray-traced rendering option. The C4D rendering option is the only one available in the current versions and it works differently. The environment layer reflects on other 3D layers if you turn up the reflection value. Find the material options by selecting a 3D layer and pressing 'aa'. 

If you happen to have an old version of AE and can use the Ray-traced rendering option then Environment layers will show up as long as all the settings are correct. Environment layers appear in reflections only is clearly stated in the 3D rendering panel of Composition Settings:

Screenshot_2021-01-07 13.42.05_OdzMnQ.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 09, 2021 Jan 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rick, thank you for helping me figure this out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines